Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Arnett Nelson

    Message 1 of 38 , Aug 3 3:22 AM
      LOL! Something funny has just happened, I was editing Chris' message and
      explaining that I was removing about 150 lines of quotes when Michael
      pressed the "approve" button, hope you don't mind the cleaned up version ;-)

      P.

      > In an earlier message I should have explained that the Carton/Boudreax
      > claim was for the nearby Thomas's Devils session, but it seems very likely
      > that the same trumpet and clarinet are involved on the King Mutts. Hope
      > that clarifies the issue.
    • David Weiner
      Message 38 of 38 , Jul 26, 2010

        > So now limiting the discussion to "big band/large ensemble" and avoiding
        > string-bands, quartets/quintets: I had always assume that this
        > setting--for recordings--generally had tuba. As such I was looking for who
        > began using string bass as a replacement for tuba, if it concentrated in
        > one or a few individual groups.
        >
        > .
        >
        > -- Gerry

        Don't forget, Gerry, that many bands had tuba and string bass side by side
        at the same time - this is readily apparent in many of the Vitaphone shorts
        of 1927-30 - often, a band also had a banjoist and a guitarist playing
        simultaneously, too. There are numerous records - like Gus Arnheim's "One
        More Time," from 1931, where tuba is in use on the first half of the disc,
        with a switchover to string bass for the "hot" final choruses to add an
        extra measure of excitement to the performance.

        Dave Weiner