RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Arnett Nelson

    Message 1 of 38 , Aug 3, 2009
      Hello Scottlededoo -- which is rather a mouthful.

      Arnett and 'Red Hot Flo' and the King Mutts we have done here but
      unfortunately the Archive search does not seem to work for anything nearer
      than March 2009 -- Patrice ? I see some blurb over 'us' on 'having problems
      over message search ?'

      The Mutts were in the frame due to the recent Frog and I am convinced on
      Cicero and Arnett and cited evidence.

      'Red Hot Flo' I am convinced is Arville Harris and also think I cited
      evidence -- if you contact me personally I might be able to dig up.

      If everything attributed to Arnett is, then the degree of imbibition might
      account for the wild fluctuations in quality.

    • David Weiner
      Message 38 of 38 , Jul 26, 2010

        > So now limiting the discussion to "big band/large ensemble" and avoiding
        > string-bands, quartets/quintets: I had always assume that this
        > setting--for recordings--generally had tuba. As such I was looking for who
        > began using string bass as a replacement for tuba, if it concentrated in
        > one or a few individual groups.
        >
        > .
        >
        > -- Gerry

        Don't forget, Gerry, that many bands had tuba and string bass side by side
        at the same time - this is readily apparent in many of the Vitaphone shorts
        of 1927-30 - often, a band also had a banjoist and a guitarist playing
        simultaneously, too. There are numerous records - like Gus Arnheim's "One
        More Time," from 1931, where tuba is in use on the first half of the disc,
        with a switchover to string bass for the "hot" final choruses to add an
        extra measure of excitement to the performance.

        Dave Weiner