Re:[RedHotJazz] Re: Not Chicago South Side 1929,but great teenage talent

  • levi.marco@libero.it
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2009
      ---------- Initial Header -----------

      From : RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      To : RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      Cc :
      Date : Sat, 1 Aug 2009 16:20:33 +0200
      Subject : [RedHotJazz] Re: Not Chicago South Side 1929, but great teenage talent

      I've just seen the video of "Grandpa's Spells": this lady knows very well what she's doing. That sounds curiously like a piano roll. Marco

      > Dear Mordechai,
      >
      > Very impressive by these two 16 year olds plus the "Perfesser" on double bass.
      >
      > While listening to this I saw there was a video of Faye Ballard playing "Grandpa's Spells". This an outsatnding performance lasting only 1:37 minutes. It can be seen on:
      > http://tinyurl.com/kqajoz
      >
      > Kind Regards
      >
      > Bob Smith

    • Robert Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2009
        Dear Marco,

        I've just compared Faye Ballard's "Grandpa's Spells" with Jelly Roll's piano roll (cut in1924-28), and recorded at Studio Sofreson January, 1992 and if it is a piano roll she's playing it's definitely not this one.

        Kind Regards

        Bob Smith

      • levi.marco@libero.it
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2009
          I think I have been somehow misunderstood. The meaning of my remark was only regarding the overall "sound" of this performance (sounding LIKE a piano roll). No intent to state the Mrs. Ballard was playing a piano roll. No comparation with the original piano rolls of Mr. La Menthe. Thank you for your clarification. Best Regards, Marco

        • levi.marco@libero.it
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2009