Re: Not Chicago South Side 1929, but great teenage talent

  • Robert Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2009
      Dear Mordechai,

      Very impressive by these two 16 year olds plus the "Perfesser" on double bass.

      While listening to this I saw there was a video of Faye Ballard playing "Grandpa's Spells". This an outsatnding performance lasting only 1:37 minutes. It can be seen on:
      http://tinyurl.com/kqajoz

      Kind Regards

      Bob Smith

    • Mordechai Litzman
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2009
        Glad you like Chestnut St in the 90's. Grandpa's Spells is also very nice. Here is another recent favorite of mine played by five piano players. Only two play piano; one plays tuba, another turns pages, and another plays washboard.
        William Barrett is my favorite contemporary washboard player. He plays a plain wb with two miniature bread rollers. The page turner is one of the teenagers on the Chestnut Street piece - 17 year old Max Keenlyside from Prince Edward Island, Canada. (Maybe three pianos is too much).
        Seems there is more great talent today playing the piano than other instruments used in classic jazz.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpAJ2lcDSms
        151