Re: Not Chicago South Side 1929, but great teenage talent

  • Mordechai Litzman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2009
      ________________________________
      From: Mordechai Litzman <folke613@...>
      To: redhotjazz@...
      Sent: Friday, July 31, 2009 3:35:52 PM
      Subject: Not Chicago South Side 1929, but great teenage talent

      Need a break from all the heavy discussions of the origins of blues and jazz?
      Check out this clip of great piano playing by two 16-18 year old kids.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKrNymFyT3Y

      2281

    • Robert Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2009
        Dear Mordechai,

        Very impressive by these two 16 year olds plus the "Perfesser" on double bass.

        While listening to this I saw there was a video of Faye Ballard playing "Grandpa's Spells". This an outsatnding performance lasting only 1:37 minutes. It can be seen on:
        http://tinyurl.com/kqajoz

        Kind Regards

        Bob Smith

      • Mordechai Litzman
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2009
          Glad you like Chestnut St in the 90's. Grandpa's Spells is also very nice. Here is another recent favorite of mine played by five piano players. Only two play piano; one plays tuba, another turns pages, and another plays washboard.
          William Barrett is my favorite contemporary washboard player. He plays a plain wb with two miniature bread rollers. The page turner is one of the teenagers on the Chestnut Street piece - 17 year old Max Keenlyside from Prince Edward Island, Canada. (Maybe three pianos is too much).
          Seems there is more great talent today playing the piano than other instruments used in classic jazz.

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpAJ2lcDSms
          151