New Orleans Jazz Landmarks (maybe slightly OT)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2009
      Since the question came up what jazz landmarks there still are in New Orleans, list members might be interested to know that New Orleans is part of the national parks system and that there are, among other things, six maps at:
      http://www.nps.gov/archive/jazz/Jazz%20History.htm

      Since these were developed pre-Katrina, some things may no longer exist or be endangered.

      The new home page also has a couple of downloadable MP3 tours, which might be fun for a virtual visit.

      The Halfway House, by the way, seems to have had a rather more chequered history than has been suggested. As I've said before, the timeline at: http://blog.nola.com/news_impact/2009/06/Halfway-House-Timeline.pdf suggests that George McCullum, described as an African-American cornet virtuoso and music teacher, played at the Roadhouse which may or may not have been the same building, and that Armand J. Piron played there in 1918. Whether or not Afro-American would-be dancers were prevented at gunpoint from attending dances here, I wouldn't venture to guess.