Re: [RedHotJazz] Texas Blues Destroyers (was sound rep roduction was Re: Roger Pryor Dodge)

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2 11:18 PM
      John,

      Have you ever compared the EPMs aurally with the Rarities? I'd be rather surprised if EPM ever bothered to track down originals. Although I have the Rarities, the CJM and the EPM, I must confess that I've never tried an aural check.

      Michael Rader

      > According to a Miley discography compiled in 1999/2000 and serialized
      > in bulletins from the Duke Ellington Society of Sweden, the Texas
      > Blues Destroyers LP and CD issues are:
      >
      > Ajax -- Rarities 11, Classic Jazz Masters CJM1, EPM151022, 159252 (
      > tracks 5 and 6).
      >
      > Pathe Actuelle -- Rarities 11
      >
      > Vocalion -- EPM 151022, 159252 (tracks 1 and 2).
      >
      > The 2005 Vintage Music Productions CD 'Bubber Miley - Rare Recordings'
      > (VMP 0161) has "Down In The Mouth Blues" as matrix 105588 (Perfect),
      > yet is aurally identical to Track 2 on EPM 151022.
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > John

    • John O
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3 12:57 AM
        Michael,

        The only LP issue I've heard is a friend's copy of the CJM, which as I recall didn't list matrices, but indeed did match tracks 5-6 on the EPM...

        Cheers,

        John

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3 9:22 AM
          John

          I can confirm that the Swedish discography is correct - the recordings do sound different which means the EPM Hot 'n' Sweet does contain the Vocalions. A pleasant surprise.

          Cheers,