Re: [RedHotJazz] Louis Armstrong "Got A Brand New Suit" - alternate take?

  • Agustin Perez Gasco
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
      Michael

      I've contacted Armstrong authority Ricky Riccardi with your query. Here's his reply:

      <<<Regarding "Got a Bran' New Suit," the two takes are indeed different so Fremeaux is in the wrong.  On take A, 27 seconds in, Pops sings, "She's the reason I got a bran' new tie" with a slight pause between the words "reason" and "I."  On the issued take, also at 27 seconds in, Pops sings "She's the reason WHY I got a bran' new tie," no pause.>>>

      Best regards,
      Agustín Pérez
      Mule Walk & Jazz Talk:  http://thereisjazzbeforetrane.blogspot.com/

      --- On Thu, 7/2/09, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...> wrote:

      There seems to be a surge of interest in Louis Armstrong's mid-30s and later Decca recordings: Mosaic recently released a complete set of the 1930s and 40s Deccas and the French Frémeaux label has reached Volume 7 of its complete Louis which covers the early Deccas. In the background, there has always been the set reissued in Sweden by Ambassador.

      One quirk of Ambassador has been to withdraw old volumes of the series to replace them with new versions once these have been discovered. Thus there is a new version of volume 1 which was made to include an alternate take of "Got A Brand New Suit", presumably "borrowed" from Volume 3 of a GRP/Decca series which contained this item for the first time.

      While the Mosaic set is said to contain this alternate, the Frémeaux definitely doesn't, hinting that it is identical to the previously issued master, simply bearing a different take letter. This is stated definitely for "I'm In The Mood for Love", adding "The same applies to You Are my Lucky Star and Got a Brand New Suit."

      Can anyone clarify whether this is so.

      Michael Rader

      ..

    • Dan Van Landingham
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2009
        I'm surprised regarding the interest in Armstrong's output for Decca.I am one who has given the short shrift to those recordings.The only Deccas I enjoyed were his recrecordings of
        "Savoy Blues","West End Blues" and "Struttin' With Some Barbeque".Regarding the afore-
        mentioned masters of "You Are My Lucky Star" and "Brand New Suit".what does Rust and
        the Jepsen's Jazz Discographies have to say about the matter?About twenty five years ago,MCA started to reissue those same Armstrong sides but never completed the album
        set as I've never seen more volumes of them.I found a couple of them myself in via a mail
        order catalogue around 1983.The company that issued the catalogue has been out of bus-
        iness for years.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2009
          Lord lists

          2 takes of "Got a Bran' New Suit"
          1 take of "I'm In The Mood for Love"
          1 take of "You Are my Lucky Star"

          All recorded on 3Oct1935

          Although it should be emphasised that Lord is not infallible, he is
          mostly right.

          Best wishes,

          L o t B

          > On Thu, 7/2/09, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...> wrote:
          >
          > From: Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>
          > Subject: [RedHotJazz] Louis Armstrong "Got A Brand New Suit" -
          > alternate take?
          > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
          > Date: Thursday, July 2, 2009, 7:37 AM
          >
          > There seems to be a surge of interest in Louis Armstrong's mid-30s
          > and later Decca recordings: Mosaic recently released a complete set
          > of the 1930s and 40s Deccas and the French Frémeaux label has
          > reached Volume 7 of its complete Louis which covers the early
          > Deccas. In the background, there has always been the set reissued in
          > Sweden by Ambassador.
          >
          > One quirk of Ambassador has been to withdraw old volumes of the
          > series to replace them with new versions once these have been
          > discovered. Thus there is a new version of volume 1 which was made
          > to include an alternate take of "Got A Brand New Suit", presumably
          > "borrowed" from Volume 3 of a GRP/Decca series which contained this
          > item for the first time.
          >
          > While the Mosaic set is said to contain this alternate, the Frémeaux
          > definitely doesn't, hinting that it is identical to the previously
          > issued master, simply bearing a different take letter. This is
          > stated definitely for "I'm In The Mood for Love", adding "The same
          > applies to You Are my Lucky Star and Got a Brand New Suit."
          >
          > Can anyone clarify whether this is so.
          >
          > Michael Rader

        • lastofthebarons
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2009
            I'm happy to say that they issued a 10 disc box set, MCA 510-151 -
            150-160 of Armstrong releases from 1935-1945, the numbers may also
            reflect the individual item numbers. I have a copy that I purchased at
            the time of its release. When that was, exactly, I couldn't say but it
            would have been in 1976 or 7.

            Best wishes,

            L o t B

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2009
              Thanks for your concern regarding my health.I was in the process of listening to more of
              those Armstrong Deccas at the RHJ website.I was in the process of making a CD of those
              aforementioned sides but I noticed that I got alot of interruptions in the transmission when
              I tried to download them into my computer.I don't know if its a problem with the website or
              else a problem of having to upgrading my real audio player.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 6, 2009
                Hi Dan

                The sound quality on the RHJ site is too constricted for normal listening.
                This is not a complaint -- we are privileged -- thanks Scott -- to have this
                wonderful source for study and reference but no alternative to a 'proper'
                well-engineered CD or even LP or even 78.

                I have the MCA LP box which had neither the best surfaces nor sound and with
                a hint of the 70s disease of stereo rechannelling.

                I am still trying to complete my set of Ambassador CDs, now rare and
                expensive and also perhaps not the end in engineering quality.

                So if anybody has the bucks the Mosaic or Fremeaux are desirable and my
                money would be on the former having the better sound although money is the
                operative word here.

                Just checked and about 60 titles up Jazz-on-line. This source is of variable
                quality but acceptable at the price. And thanks here too for this resource.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 7, 2009
                  I'm In The Mood for Love and You Are My Lucky Star are both
                  copybook-examples of the problem of physically different but musically
                  identical takes.

                  At least five physically different takes of I'm In The Mood for Love appear
                  on Decca 579 (-AA, -C, -E, -F, and ­G according to Mosaic). Some of them at
                  least have a different balance or other variations in the recorded signal,
                  but they are all of the same performance. Early collectors had to rely on
                  the take numbers in the wax to know what they¹d got and it was a long time
                  before enough cooies of these and many other 30s Decca recordings could be
                  brought together for people to realize what was happening.

                  So Lord is right here.