Re: [RedHotJazz]  sound reproduction was Re: Roger Pryor Dodge

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
      Did all three Texas Blues Destroyers couplings even make it to LP? Some LPs
      didn¹t indicate which versions they had used, which doesn¹t help if you
      don¹t have 78s to compare.

      on 02/07/2009 10:09, John O at spacelights@... wrote:

      > Thanks for that list, Pryor. I very much admire your father's work: happy to
      > see many favorites among his hot solos.
      >
      > The Miley recordings you mention are of great interest. You may want to
      > contact Jazz Oracle or Frog: the latter is embarking on a new series of
      > rarities compilations, Volume One slated to include Thomas Morris and King
      > Oliver, so Bubber would probably fit right in. Other Miley records remain
      > unissued on CD: Booker's/New Orleans Jazz Band, Six Black Diamonds
      > alternatives, and Texas Blues Destroyers Pathe session.
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > John
      >
      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,
      > pryordodge@... wrote:
      >> >
      >> > Thank you Yves, I would like to pursue this to make the recordings
      >> > available.
      >> >
      >> > Best regards,
      >> >
      >> > Pryor

      > howard@...
      > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

    • pryordodge
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
        Thanks everyone for your input. I will take this one step at a time. Phil Schapp's transfer was done free of charge, so there was little experimentation with needles and he had asked that the transfer be used solely for personal use. I would like to find someone in New York City who can do computer scanning of disks. Any info on this would be appreciated. Also, how much filtering is desired?

        Pryor

        > Did all three Texas Blues Destroyers couplings even make it to LP? Some LPs
        > didn¹t indicate which versions they had used, which doesn¹t help if you
        > don¹t have 78s to compare.
        >

        > on 02/07/2009 10:09, John O at spacelights@... wrote:
        >

        > > Thanks for that list, Pryor. I very much admire your father's work: happy to
        > > see many favorites among his hot solos.
        > >
        > > The Miley recordings you mention are of great interest. You may want to
        > > contact Jazz Oracle or Frog: the latter is embarking on a new series of
        > > rarities compilations, Volume One slated to include Thomas Morris and King
        > > Oliver, so Bubber would probably fit right in. Other Miley records remain
        > > unissued on CD: Booker's/New Orleans Jazz Band, Six Black Diamonds
        > > alternatives, and Texas Blues Destroyers Pathe session.
        > >
        > > Best regards,
        > >
        > > John
        > >
        > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,

        > > Howard Rye, 20 Coppermill Lane, London, England, E17 7HB
        > > howard@...
        > > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

      • John O
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009

          > Did all three Texas Blues Destroyers couplings even make it to LP? Some LPs
          > didn¹t indicate which versions they had used, which doesn¹t help if you
          > don¹t have 78s to compare.

          Howard,

          According to a Miley discography compiled in 1999/2000 and serialized in bulletins from the Duke Ellington Society of Sweden, the Texas Blues Destroyers LP and CD issues are:

          Ajax -- Rarities 11, Classic Jazz Masters CJM1, EPM151022, 159252 (tracks 5 and 6).

          Pathe Actuelle -- Rarities 11

          Vocalion -- EPM 151022, 159252 (tracks 1 and 2).

          The 2005 Vintage Music Productions CD 'Bubber Miley - Rare Recordings' (VMP 0161) has "Down In The Mouth Blues" as matrix 105588 (Perfect), yet is aurally identical to Track 2 on EPM 151022.

          Best,

          John