[RedHotJazz]  sound reproduction was Re: Roger Pryor Dodge

  • John O
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
      Thanks for that list, Pryor. I very much admire your father's work: happy to see many favorites among his hot solos.

      The Miley recordings you mention are of great interest. You may want to contact Jazz Oracle or Frog: the latter is embarking on a new series of rarities compilations, Volume One slated to include Thomas Morris and King Oliver, so Bubber would probably fit right in. Other Miley records remain unissued on CD: Booker's/New Orleans Jazz Band, Six Black Diamonds alternatives, and Texas Blues Destroyers Pathe session.

      Best regards,

      John

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
        Did all three Texas Blues Destroyers couplings even make it to LP? Some LPs
        didn¹t indicate which versions they had used, which doesn¹t help if you
        don¹t have 78s to compare.

        on 02/07/2009 10:09, John O at spacelights@... wrote:

        > Thanks for that list, Pryor. I very much admire your father's work: happy to
        > see many favorites among his hot solos.
        >
        > The Miley recordings you mention are of great interest. You may want to
        > contact Jazz Oracle or Frog: the latter is embarking on a new series of
        > rarities compilations, Volume One slated to include Thomas Morris and King
        > Oliver, so Bubber would probably fit right in. Other Miley records remain
        > unissued on CD: Booker's/New Orleans Jazz Band, Six Black Diamonds
        > alternatives, and Texas Blues Destroyers Pathe session.
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > John
        >
        > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,
        > pryordodge@... wrote:
        >> >
        >> > Thank you Yves, I would like to pursue this to make the recordings
        >> > available.
        >> >
        >> > Best regards,
        >> >
        >> > Pryor

        > howard@...
        > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

      • pryordodge
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
          Thanks everyone for your input. I will take this one step at a time. Phil Schapp's transfer was done free of charge, so there was little experimentation with needles and he had asked that the transfer be used solely for personal use. I would like to find someone in New York City who can do computer scanning of disks. Any info on this would be appreciated. Also, how much filtering is desired?

          Pryor

          > Did all three Texas Blues Destroyers couplings even make it to LP? Some LPs
          > didn¹t indicate which versions they had used, which doesn¹t help if you
          > don¹t have 78s to compare.
          >

          > on 02/07/2009 10:09, John O at spacelights@... wrote:
          >

          > > Thanks for that list, Pryor. I very much admire your father's work: happy to
          > > see many favorites among his hot solos.
          > >
          > > The Miley recordings you mention are of great interest. You may want to
          > > contact Jazz Oracle or Frog: the latter is embarking on a new series of
          > > rarities compilations, Volume One slated to include Thomas Morris and King
          > > Oliver, so Bubber would probably fit right in. Other Miley records remain
          > > unissued on CD: Booker's/New Orleans Jazz Band, Six Black Diamonds
          > > alternatives, and Texas Blues Destroyers Pathe session.
          > >
          > > Best regards,
          > >
          > > John
          > >
          > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,

          > > Howard Rye, 20 Coppermill Lane, London, England, E17 7HB
          > > howard@...
          > > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

        • John O
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009

            > Did all three Texas Blues Destroyers couplings even make it to LP? Some LPs
            > didn¹t indicate which versions they had used, which doesn¹t help if you
            > don¹t have 78s to compare.

            Howard,

            According to a Miley discography compiled in 1999/2000 and serialized in bulletins from the Duke Ellington Society of Sweden, the Texas Blues Destroyers LP and CD issues are:

            Ajax -- Rarities 11, Classic Jazz Masters CJM1, EPM151022, 159252 (tracks 5 and 6).

            Pathe Actuelle -- Rarities 11

            Vocalion -- EPM 151022, 159252 (tracks 1 and 2).

            The 2005 Vintage Music Productions CD 'Bubber Miley - Rare Recordings' (VMP 0161) has "Down In The Mouth Blues" as matrix 105588 (Perfect), yet is aurally identical to Track 2 on EPM 151022.

            Best,

            John