Re: [RedHotJazz]  sound reproduction was Re: Roger Pryor Dodge

  • pryordodge@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
      Thank you Yves, I would like to pursue this to make the recordings
      available.

      Best regards,

      Pryor

    • John O
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
        Thanks for that list, Pryor. I very much admire your father's work: happy to see many favorites among his hot solos.

        The Miley recordings you mention are of great interest. You may want to contact Jazz Oracle or Frog: the latter is embarking on a new series of rarities compilations, Volume One slated to include Thomas Morris and King Oliver, so Bubber would probably fit right in. Other Miley records remain unissued on CD: Booker's/New Orleans Jazz Band, Six Black Diamonds alternatives, and Texas Blues Destroyers Pathe session.

        Best regards,

        John

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
          Did all three Texas Blues Destroyers couplings even make it to LP? Some LPs
          didn¹t indicate which versions they had used, which doesn¹t help if you
          don¹t have 78s to compare.

          on 02/07/2009 10:09, John O at spacelights@... wrote:

          > Thanks for that list, Pryor. I very much admire your father's work: happy to
          > see many favorites among his hot solos.
          >
          > The Miley recordings you mention are of great interest. You may want to
          > contact Jazz Oracle or Frog: the latter is embarking on a new series of
          > rarities compilations, Volume One slated to include Thomas Morris and King
          > Oliver, so Bubber would probably fit right in. Other Miley records remain
          > unissued on CD: Booker's/New Orleans Jazz Band, Six Black Diamonds
          > alternatives, and Texas Blues Destroyers Pathe session.
          >
          > Best regards,
          >
          > John
          >
          > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,
          > pryordodge@... wrote:
          >> >
          >> > Thank you Yves, I would like to pursue this to make the recordings
          >> > available.
          >> >
          >> > Best regards,
          >> >
          >> > Pryor

          > howard@...
          > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

        • pryordodge
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
            Thanks everyone for your input. I will take this one step at a time. Phil Schapp's transfer was done free of charge, so there was little experimentation with needles and he had asked that the transfer be used solely for personal use. I would like to find someone in New York City who can do computer scanning of disks. Any info on this would be appreciated. Also, how much filtering is desired?

            Pryor

            > Did all three Texas Blues Destroyers couplings even make it to LP? Some LPs
            > didn¹t indicate which versions they had used, which doesn¹t help if you
            > don¹t have 78s to compare.
            >

            > on 02/07/2009 10:09, John O at spacelights@... wrote:
            >

            > > Thanks for that list, Pryor. I very much admire your father's work: happy to
            > > see many favorites among his hot solos.
            > >
            > > The Miley recordings you mention are of great interest. You may want to
            > > contact Jazz Oracle or Frog: the latter is embarking on a new series of
            > > rarities compilations, Volume One slated to include Thomas Morris and King
            > > Oliver, so Bubber would probably fit right in. Other Miley records remain
            > > unissued on CD: Booker's/New Orleans Jazz Band, Six Black Diamonds
            > > alternatives, and Texas Blues Destroyers Pathe session.
            > >
            > > Best regards,
            > >
            > > John
            > >
            > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,

            > > Howard Rye, 20 Coppermill Lane, London, England, E17 7HB
            > > howard@...
            > > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

          • John O
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009

              > Did all three Texas Blues Destroyers couplings even make it to LP? Some LPs
              > didn¹t indicate which versions they had used, which doesn¹t help if you
              > don¹t have 78s to compare.

              Howard,

              According to a Miley discography compiled in 1999/2000 and serialized in bulletins from the Duke Ellington Society of Sweden, the Texas Blues Destroyers LP and CD issues are:

              Ajax -- Rarities 11, Classic Jazz Masters CJM1, EPM151022, 159252 (tracks 5 and 6).

              Pathe Actuelle -- Rarities 11

              Vocalion -- EPM 151022, 159252 (tracks 1 and 2).

              The 2005 Vintage Music Productions CD 'Bubber Miley - Rare Recordings' (VMP 0161) has "Down In The Mouth Blues" as matrix 105588 (Perfect), yet is aurally identical to Track 2 on EPM 151022.

              Best,

              John