Re: Roger Pryor Dodge was Lord Let Me In The Lifeboat !

  • pryordodge
    Message 1 of 129 , Jul 1, 2009
      Dave,

      My father also thought highly of Bechet and spoke of him often. I think this list reflects more the solos he wanted to play or use in his work.

      My father knew Bunk in New York and made a silent film of him in Washington Square, playing/clowning with Bill Russell and Bunk's wife. A 'still' from this film is included in the book, Hot Jazz and Jazz Dance, his collected writings and record reviews that I published in 1995 with Oxford (available now for under $6 at Amazon).

      Miley recordings - he used Black & Tan and Zulus among others in his dance performances (he did a touring gig with Miley). The recordings were never issued; they weren't of sufficient technical quality and Zulus, from an initial transfer attempt, has playback problems. What do you suggest I do?

      Pryor

      > Thanks Pryor and everybody.
      >
      > As far as I can see, all the items in the portfolio pre-date 1930. The Bunk
      > story means your father obviously continued his jazz listening beyond this
      > date so it seems to me the 'hot' list was compiled about 1930 which would
      > account for another glaring omission, Bechet, whose most renowned work came
      > later.
      >
      > Were the Bubbers ever issued ?
      >
      > Interesting that Irick apparently came from the South. The work of Hunch
      > Vines sounds extremely down-home N.O. and suggests strong N.O. influence in
      > Birmingham.
      >
      > Dave

    • Robert Greenwood
      Message 129 of 129 , Jul 6, 2009
        I am sure I speak for everyone associated with the RHJ list in wishing Dan all the best and in conveying our hopes for a swift recovery from surgery. Music is very therapeutic (among its many other qualities)and the discussions on this list concentrate & exercise the mind wonderfully. Mind you, Dan, they can also send up the blood pressure...All the very best; it's great to hear from you.
        Robert Greenwood.