Re: [RedHotJazz] Seymour Irick was Lord Let Me In The Lifeboat !

    Message 1 of 129 , Jul 1, 2009
      But very much a household name in African-America in 1929. He was front page
      news when he was shot dead on 7 February 1929 by Mary Snepps, a white
      taxi-dancer with whom he shared an apartment in the home of dancer Johnny
      Hudgins. She apparently shot him after finding that he had two other
      ³wives². Reports of the case reveal an amazing tangle. The defence managed
      to present her as an injured innocent and a jury acquitted her of
      manslaughter even though she told at least two different versions of what
      happened.

      on 30/06/2009 11:39, Bob Eagle at prof_hi_jinx@... wrote:

      > FWIW, Seymour Irick was living at Summerville, Dorchester County, South
      > Carolina, not far from Charleston, in 1910, aged 10.
      >
      > Not exactly a household name, even now.
      >
      > Bob
      >
      > --- On Tue, 30/6/09, David Brown <johnhaleysims@...
      > <mailto:johnhaleysims%40yahoo.co.uk> > wrote:
      >
      > From: David Brown <johnhaleysims@...
      > <mailto:johnhaleysims%40yahoo.co.uk> >
      > Subject: [RedHotJazz] Roger Pryor Dodge was Lord Let Me In The Lifeboat !
      > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>
      >
      > Pryor
      >
      > Profound thanks for your time and trouble in compiling this fascinating
      > list. Some really obscure sides here along with classics. What date would
      > this portfolio have been ?
      >
      > Can anybody trace the 'By Heck' and 'Mountain Top Blues' or point where we
      > can hear the Bunch Fuzzy Wuzzies or the Seger Ellis piano solo ?
      >
      > Nice to have the Fowlers in the frame. The cornet I have variously listed as
      > Seymour Irick and Clarence Wheeler. Which ? The clarinet here, Percy
      > Glascoe, tends towards novelty, as do Lewis, Senter and Fess. The trumpet
      > on 'Ozark' is in Rust as Kenneth Roane and I've just heard and indeed
      > interesting and, like the clarinet solos and most other trumpet and trombone
      > solos listed, 'exotic', muted with wide tonal effects which maybe define
      > what Mr Dodge Snr. meant by 'hot' although Bunk does not fit this
      > definition.
      >
      > Two glaring absentees, Bix & Dodds. Maybe Mr Dodge did not hear Bix as hot ?
      >
      > The trumpet solo on the Oliver 'Call Of The Freaks' is also exotic but Louis
      > Metcalf.
      >
      > Pryor, your Bubber studio story is tantalising. Any more details and where
      > are the records ?
      >
      > Dave

      > howard@...
      > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

    • Robert Greenwood
      Message 129 of 129 , Jul 6, 2009
        I am sure I speak for everyone associated with the RHJ list in wishing Dan all the best and in conveying our hopes for a swift recovery from surgery. Music is very therapeutic (among its many other qualities)and the discussions on this list concentrate & exercise the mind wonderfully. Mind you, Dan, they can also send up the blood pressure...All the very best; it's great to hear from you.
        Robert Greenwood.