Re: [RedHotJazz] looking for song identity

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
      > think
      > > it's a popular dance tune from the late 20s or early 30's. This
      > link is to
      > > the Betty Boop cartoon "Dancing Fool." This specific song starts at
      > 04:54,
      > > when Bimbo the Dog starts singing Vo Do De O Do Do De O...and then
      > there's
      > > a crazy kind of laughing that's specific to it- happens in both
      > cartoons
      > > as well.
      > >

      > > http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz763_1932betty-boop-dancing-fool_
      > fun
      >
      > It strongly reminds me of a Cajun rhumba called Mama Rosin, maybe it
      > will
      > help others to make further connections.
      >
      > P.

      Maybe it does have other origins, but it's a rhumba recorded several times under the name of "Mama Inez", and I'm sure I have it by a hot dance band featuring Benny Goodman. A search on Google first produces a version by Maurice Chevalier ;-).

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
        From: "Michael Rader"

        > Maybe it does have other origins, but it's a rhumba recorded several times
        > under
        > the name of "Mama Inez", and I'm sure I have it by a hot dance band
        > featuring
        > Benny Goodman. A search on Google first produces a version by Maurice
        > Chevalier ;-).

        That must be the one, I found 26 versions on eMusic, and it's very likely
        that the Cajun Mama Rosin was a corruption (with a simplified bridge), since
        one of the 26 has the altenative title "Oh don José" (and "José" with
        Spanish pronunciation is very close to a de-nasalized "Rosin")
        Anyway, here's a gorgeous clip, to check it is the same song as the one
        which starts at 4:54
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXcIRwsmwuw

        Finding an online version of Mama Rosin is more difficult, all related
        videos are deceiving and don't provide the original melody.
        All I found was a sample by Nathan Abshire from the French page
        http://www.virginmega.fr/musique/fiches/titre.aspx?product_id=103302100
        (click on the loudspeaker in the middle to listen ("Ecouter") if the page is
        not automatically translated)

        Patrice
      • Fuel aFire
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
          Well, I had seen this information before, and it doesn't identify this song that I'm asking about out. The "Come On, Baby" song stops before this other one begins. It's too bad this brief article doesn't identify this song. But you were on the right track!

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
            Nope, but it's on the right track. The reason that I think it's a popular dance hit and not an movie studio-written song is because the music is used again in another cartoon from another studio, and it is exactly the same. This would mean that the music existed outside of the studios themselves.

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
              no, but the attitude is understandably similar. The latin theme is too evident in this song you're suggesting, I think.

              ________________________________
              > Maybe it does have other origins, but it's a rhumba recorded several times
              > under
              > the name of "Mama Inez", and I'm sure I have it by a hot dance band
              > featuring
              > Benny Goodman. A search on Google first produces a version by Maurice
              > Chevalier ;-).

              That must be the one, I found 26 versions on eMusic, and it's very likely
              that the Cajun Mama Rosin was a corruption (with a simplified bridge), since
              one of the 26 has the altenative title "Oh don José" (and "José" with
              Spanish pronunciation is very close to a de-nasalized "Rosin")
              Anyway, here's a gorgeous clip, to check it is the same song as the one
              which starts at 4:54
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXcIRwsmwuw

              Finding an online version of Mama Rosin is more difficult, all related
              videos are deceiving and don't provide the original melody.
              All I found was a sample by Nathan Abshire from the French page
              http://www.virginmega.fr/musique/fiches/titre.aspx?product_id=103302100
              (click on the loudspeaker in the middle to listen ("Ecouter") if the page is
              not automatically translated)

            • Mordechai Litzman
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                I also thought that it sounded like "Mama Inez." I have a wonderful recording of this tune with Kid Thomas Valentine and his Creole Jazz Band on American Music AMCD-49 recorded 5-24-59.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                  You know what- after listening again, I think that you're right! The roots of the melody and rhythms are all there. Wow! There must be some novelty version of this out there somewhere. Patrice, this is a great target, and I think that you found the solution! Thanks!!

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                    --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Fuel aFire <fuelafire@...> wrote:

                    > You know what- after listening again, I think that you're right!
                    > The roots of the melody and rhythms are all there. Wow! There must
                    > be some novelty version of this out there somewhere. Patrice, this
                    > is a great target, and I think that you found the solution! Thanks!!

                    Well, as I attempted to say, you'd better thank Michael who knew about the most popular version, I guess you wouldn't have gone very far with my Cajun song ;-)

                    I am posting from the group's webpage this time, because for some reason my ISP refuses to send some of my mails!

                    My apologies to email subscribers who will receive the four blocked messages some day or other - which I will delete from the archives.
                    I'll see if this one works, and post another one about the links I've been trying to mention for 24 hours!

                    Patrice
                  • Fuel aFire
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                      Ah, yes- thanks Michael for targeting the "Mama Inez"- it 's on the right path!

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                        Here it is: "Mama Inés" by the Havana Novelty Orchestra, 1930 (an in-house Victor band conducted by Nik Shilkret)
                        http://www.dismuke.org/how/prev9-05.html

                        thanks everyone