looking for song identity

  • Fuel aFire
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
      hi to all- there's a great song that has appeared in both a Betty Boop and an Ub Iwerks cartoon, and I am trying to find out what it is- I think it's a popular dance tune from the late 20s or early 30's. This link is to the Betty Boop cartoon "Dancing Fool." This specific song starts at 04:54, when Bimbo the Dog starts singing Vo Do De O Do Do De O...and then there's a crazy kind of laughing that's specific to it- happens in both cartoons as well.

      http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz763_1932betty-boop-dancing-fool_fun

      Someone suggested that it was the 1928 "Come On, Baby" (Reser's Cliquot Club Eskimos or Ted Weems,) but neither of them fit, in my opinion.

      Thanks- any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
        > hi to all- there's a great song that has appeared in both a Betty Boop
        > and an Ub Iwerks cartoon, and I am trying to find out what it is- I think
        > it's a popular dance tune from the late 20s or early 30's. This link is to
        > the Betty Boop cartoon "Dancing Fool." This specific song starts at 04:54,
        > when Bimbo the Dog starts singing Vo Do De O Do Do De O...and then there's
        > a crazy kind of laughing that's specific to it- happens in both cartoons
        > as well.
        >

        > http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz763_1932betty-boop-dancing-fool_fun

        It strongly reminds me of a Cajun rhumba called Mama Rosin, maybe it will
        help others to make further connections.

        P.
      • Robert Smith
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
          Milton Ager & Jack Yellen wrote a song called "Vo-Do-Do-De-O" and this was recorded by the Goofus Five on 1927--06-15. This can be heard on the RedHotJazz Archive. Maybe this is the one?

          Regards

          Bob Smith

        • lastofthebarons
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
            Wonder no more:-

            Dancing to Save Your Soul" is a tapdance number written by popular
            songwriters Abel Baer & L. Wolfe Gilbert for Paramount on Parade
            (1930), sung behind the opening credits of The Dancing Fool (1932) by
            Mae Questal (as Betty) together with an unidentified male vocalist.

            Bimbo is raising a window washer or sign-painter's platform up the
            outside of a tall building. When the platform slips & plunges
            downward, it's caught by two mice & Koko the Clown.

            Koko has brought a paint bucket but no other painting equipment. After
            all sorts of antics it turns out they've been hired to paint lettering
            on a window at ground level, "Betty Boop's Dancing School."

            She, Bimbo, & Koko sing a jazzy song taken from a 1928 hit, though
            sounds just like it could've been written for & about Betty: "Come On,
            Baby" by Archie Gottler, Sidney Clare & Maceo Pinkard.

            There's some real songwriting talent incorporated here. Sidney Clare
            was the lyricist for "The Good Ship Lollipop." Gottler wrote the music
            for George Abbott's Broadway (1929), an early two-strip Technicolor
            musical.

            Abel Baer songs were covered by Frank Sinatra & Paul Whiteman. L.
            Wolfe Gilbert's first great lyric was for "Waiting for the Robert E.
            Lee." And Maceo Pinkard's best remembered song is hands-down "Sweet
            Georgia Brown."
            If you go to:-

            http://tinyurl.com/kuj9o8

            There is an alternate posting on uTube of the same film with all the
            above info.

            Best wishes,

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
              > think
              > > it's a popular dance tune from the late 20s or early 30's. This
              > link is to
              > > the Betty Boop cartoon "Dancing Fool." This specific song starts at
              > 04:54,
              > > when Bimbo the Dog starts singing Vo Do De O Do Do De O...and then
              > there's
              > > a crazy kind of laughing that's specific to it- happens in both
              > cartoons
              > > as well.
              > >

              > > http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz763_1932betty-boop-dancing-fool_
              > fun
              >
              > It strongly reminds me of a Cajun rhumba called Mama Rosin, maybe it
              > will
              > help others to make further connections.
              >
              > P.

              Maybe it does have other origins, but it's a rhumba recorded several times under the name of "Mama Inez", and I'm sure I have it by a hot dance band featuring Benny Goodman. A search on Google first produces a version by Maurice Chevalier ;-).

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                From: "Michael Rader"

                > Maybe it does have other origins, but it's a rhumba recorded several times
                > under
                > the name of "Mama Inez", and I'm sure I have it by a hot dance band
                > featuring
                > Benny Goodman. A search on Google first produces a version by Maurice
                > Chevalier ;-).

                That must be the one, I found 26 versions on eMusic, and it's very likely
                that the Cajun Mama Rosin was a corruption (with a simplified bridge), since
                one of the 26 has the altenative title "Oh don José" (and "José" with
                Spanish pronunciation is very close to a de-nasalized "Rosin")
                Anyway, here's a gorgeous clip, to check it is the same song as the one
                which starts at 4:54
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXcIRwsmwuw

                Finding an online version of Mama Rosin is more difficult, all related
                videos are deceiving and don't provide the original melody.
                All I found was a sample by Nathan Abshire from the French page
                http://www.virginmega.fr/musique/fiches/titre.aspx?product_id=103302100
                (click on the loudspeaker in the middle to listen ("Ecouter") if the page is
                not automatically translated)

                Patrice
              • Fuel aFire
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                  Well, I had seen this information before, and it doesn't identify this song that I'm asking about out. The "Come On, Baby" song stops before this other one begins. It's too bad this brief article doesn't identify this song. But you were on the right track!

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                    Nope, but it's on the right track. The reason that I think it's a popular dance hit and not an movie studio-written song is because the music is used again in another cartoon from another studio, and it is exactly the same. This would mean that the music existed outside of the studios themselves.

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                      no, but the attitude is understandably similar. The latin theme is too evident in this song you're suggesting, I think.

                      ________________________________
                      > Maybe it does have other origins, but it's a rhumba recorded several times
                      > under
                      > the name of "Mama Inez", and I'm sure I have it by a hot dance band
                      > featuring
                      > Benny Goodman. A search on Google first produces a version by Maurice
                      > Chevalier ;-).

                      That must be the one, I found 26 versions on eMusic, and it's very likely
                      that the Cajun Mama Rosin was a corruption (with a simplified bridge), since
                      one of the 26 has the altenative title "Oh don José" (and "José" with
                      Spanish pronunciation is very close to a de-nasalized "Rosin")
                      Anyway, here's a gorgeous clip, to check it is the same song as the one
                      which starts at 4:54
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXcIRwsmwuw

                      Finding an online version of Mama Rosin is more difficult, all related
                      videos are deceiving and don't provide the original melody.
                      All I found was a sample by Nathan Abshire from the French page
                      http://www.virginmega.fr/musique/fiches/titre.aspx?product_id=103302100
                      (click on the loudspeaker in the middle to listen ("Ecouter") if the page is
                      not automatically translated)

                    • Mordechai Litzman
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                        I also thought that it sounded like "Mama Inez." I have a wonderful recording of this tune with Kid Thomas Valentine and his Creole Jazz Band on American Music AMCD-49 recorded 5-24-59.

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                          You know what- after listening again, I think that you're right! The roots of the melody and rhythms are all there. Wow! There must be some novelty version of this out there somewhere. Patrice, this is a great target, and I think that you found the solution! Thanks!!

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Fuel aFire <fuelafire@...> wrote:

                            > You know what- after listening again, I think that you're right!
                            > The roots of the melody and rhythms are all there. Wow! There must
                            > be some novelty version of this out there somewhere. Patrice, this
                            > is a great target, and I think that you found the solution! Thanks!!

                            Well, as I attempted to say, you'd better thank Michael who knew about the most popular version, I guess you wouldn't have gone very far with my Cajun song ;-)

                            I am posting from the group's webpage this time, because for some reason my ISP refuses to send some of my mails!

                            My apologies to email subscribers who will receive the four blocked messages some day or other - which I will delete from the archives.
                            I'll see if this one works, and post another one about the links I've been trying to mention for 24 hours!

                            Patrice
                          • Fuel aFire
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                              Ah, yes- thanks Michael for targeting the "Mama Inez"- it 's on the right path!

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                                Here it is: "Mama Inés" by the Havana Novelty Orchestra, 1930 (an in-house Victor band conducted by Nik Shilkret)
                                http://www.dismuke.org/how/prev9-05.html

                                thanks everyone