Re: Bunk & George

  • Robert Greenwood
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 24, 2009
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, folke613@... wrote:

      > On 5/7/43 Bunk recorded a few solo recordings accompanied by Bertha Gonsoulin on piano in San Fransisco(American Music AMCD-16). One recording is called Bolden Medley. Bunk plays with a beautiful and powerful tone. IMHO the trumpet playing on this recording is second to none, and as good as the 1924 King Oliver solo of King Porter Stomp with Jelly Roll Morton.
      > So there, I had to say it.

      ..and I for one am glad you did. The tracks with Bertha Gonsoulin are great. Bunk, I think, was a link between the older, more musically schooled players and the supposedly rougher, less schooled, blues oriented players. It's our great good fortune that he was recorded so extensively even if so late on in his career.
      Robert.