Re: Sudhalter and Stardust was: Non-musician critics

  • Tommer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18, 2009
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...> wrote:

      > > Michael,
      > > Quote: They kissed. He held her for a long time. 'It'll be alright
      > > Ruthie,' he whispered, 'You'll see.' He kissed the tears as they
      > > rolled down her cheeks.' end of quote. Later, on page 229. 'Even as
      > > hope, little by little died in her heart.'
      > > Yuck, what kind of historical writing is that? I think it's more
      > > usually classified as Chick Lit.
      >
      > Well, kitsch or schmaltz rather than sex. Not really scientific or factual...
      >
      > > Lonnie Johnson's solo on Stardust, being 'completely out of place'. I
      > > haven't played the record for a long time but my recollection of it
      > > is that Lonnie Johnson does not know the chords of the tune, it being
      > > way out of his genre, and makes a hash of his solo.
      >
      > OK, so what do others think of this solo?
      >
      > Michael Rader

      Lonnie's solo is good. I believe they wanted to have the tuba piano and Lonnie swinging together but the tuba didn't play right for what Lonnie needed, and did sometimes misplaced syncopations that didn't fit with Lonnie's swinging.

      I suspect the problem is with the arranger who didn't know what exactly he want from it.

      Tommer