Non-musician critics

  • Robert Greenwood
    Message 1 of 129 , Jun 17, 2009
      There's a discussion topic kicking off nicely over on the Bix Forum regarding the qualifications of non-musicians to offer any meaningful opinions on music. Our listmate Alex Revell, a former sideman of Chris Barber & Rod Mason, contends that the opinion of the non-executant may safely be disregarded. What do we think over here on the Yahoo RHJ Group?

      Of course there are obvious howlers committed by non-musicians and critics who would struggle even to be amateur. I recall one occasion from the 1970s when Chris Barber & Kenny Ball were photographed for the press posing alongside the once-popular politician and Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher. I don't know about Kenny, but colour-blind Chris that day put the music first and suppressed any problems he no doubt experienced at being seen next to a woman who sought fervently to address the fears of those anxious at the prospect of their country being overwhelmed by commonwealth immigrants. Anyway, in a press statement to go with the photograph, Mrs Thatcher publicly declared her love of jazz, especially New Orleans jazz such as that played by Duke Ellington.
      Robert.
    • Robert Greenwood
      Message 129 of 129 , Jul 6, 2009
        I am sure I speak for everyone associated with the RHJ list in wishing Dan all the best and in conveying our hopes for a swift recovery from surgery. Music is very therapeutic (among its many other qualities)and the discussions on this list concentrate & exercise the mind wonderfully. Mind you, Dan, they can also send up the blood pressure...All the very best; it's great to hear from you.
        Robert Greenwood.