Hey, There's Some New Stuff On www.redhotjazz.com

  • Scott Alexander
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 23, 2004
      I've added a few new pages and songs to The Red Hot Jazz Archive this week.

      NEW PAGES
      Flo Bert - Supposedly the first blues records released on Paramount. I'm looking for more info on Flo Bert. I've read the Document liner notes about her but I'm looking anything else you might know about her.
      http://redhotjazz.com/flobert.html
      What'cha Gon'na Do When There Ain't No Jazz / Sweet Mamma, Papa's Getting Mad - Paramount 20027

      Arthur Gibbs and his Gang - All four songs released by this band were added to the site, including the first(?) recorded version of the song "Charleston".
      http://www.redhotjazz.com/pwr1.html

      NEW SONGS ON EXISTING PAGES
      Original Dixieland Jazz Band - A couple of songs by Nick La Rocca's 1936 revival of the band. These are very commercial sounding songs in the swing style with a vocal refrains by Chris Fletcher.
      http://redhotjazz.com/odjb.html
      Did You Mean It / Who Loves You - Victor 25420 - 1936

      Paul Whiteman Orchestra Line Recordings - Sixteen radio line recordings were added to the site. These are courtesy of Paul Whiteman record collector supreme Dennis Pereyra.
      http://www.redhotjazz.com/pwr1.html

      New Terrace Room of the Hotel New Yorker on Mutual dated 10/39:
      Medley: What'll I Do; Persian Rug; I Kiss Your Hand, Madame
      Three Little Words
      Down South Camp Meeting

      New Terrace Room of the Hotel New Yorker on CBS dated 10/31/39:
      My Last Goodbye
      Blue Orchids
      Darktown Strutters Ball
      Swinging On A Teagarden Gate

      New Terrace Room of the Hotel New Yorker on Mutual dated 11/03/39:
      A Boy Named Lem and a Girl Named Sue
      To You

      New Terrace Room of the Hotel New Yorker on Mutual dated 11/03/39:
      Scatterbrain
      Jamboree Jones
      Moonray
      Goodnight, My Beautiful

      New Terrace Room of the Hotel New Yorker on Mutual dated 11/09/39:
      Last Night
      Streets of Singapore
      Blue Orchids

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 24, 2004
        Hi Michael

        > I don't have any information on Flo Bert, and haven't yet listened
        > to the recordings

        Neither had I , until now. All I can say is that, unless Broadway 1040 had
        three sides, Whistle And I'll Come To Meet You should be Bwy 1023;)))

        To move slightly away from the considerable knowledge I haven't got, these
        sides clearly show that separating "true" blues from vaudeville or jazz is
        just as difficult as making the difference between "hot" jazz and dance
        bands. I wouldn't like to have to make decisions as to what "should" be
        retained in Brian Rust's or Godrich-Dixon's reference books (and expect this
        replies to your interrogations about why I chose to add the word "red";)

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 24, 2004
          Another thing

          > The link to Arthur Gibbs is wrong - it leads to Paul Whiteman.

          I suppose Scott would rather have tecchy information about his website sent
          privately (which I failed to do, but I've got some more in mind - and maybe
          I'm wrong ;)

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 24, 2004
            > This link was from a posting to the list, so it isn't strictly on techy
            > matters.

            That was just a thought, and a question to Scott at the same time, no
            grieving aimed at you at all!

            Keep the ball rolling ;)

            Patrice
          • Scott Alexander
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 24, 2004
              Oops, sorry the Arthur Gibbs Gang is here:
              http://www.redhotjazz.com/gibbsgang.html
            • Scott Alexander
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 24, 2004
                When I try to decide what should go on the site I try to think about how
                people then would have viewed this music back in 1920. I'm sure that most
                people would have seen records like Flo Bert's as being jazz or blues.
                Singers like Marion Harris, Mamie Smith, Lucille Hegamin and Flo Bert don't
                strike our modern years as being particularly "jazzy or bluesy" but it is my
                belief that in 1920 these records were considered as such and seen as kind
                of risque by the standards of the day.

                Beyond the classification question, I really like Flo Bert's version of
                "What'cha Gon'na Do When There Ain't No Jazz". It is a great little time
                capsule of the attitudes of the "Jazz Age". They've just banned liquor in
                the United States and there was a lot of talk about the moral dangers of
                jazz in the newspapers. The lyrics seem kind of subversive to me. It seems
                to me that she is alluding that since the kids can't drink or dance to jazz
                they will just have sex instead. I like her leering pharsing of "They made
                us drink sarsaparilla, that's not enough for any fellow". It's also cool how
                Flo almost raps about one minute and forty seconds into the song when she
                goes into the heavily syncopated section that begins "They took away our
                liquor".

                Listen to the song here:
                http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/misc/whatyougonnado.ram

                Read the published lyrics here: