Walter Bennett (again)

  • robertgreenwood_54uk
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2004
      I was hoping to add some more information about trumpeter Walter
      Bennett. I thought I had read an entry for him in John Chilton's
      Who's Who of Jazz, but I must be mistaken. Unless there's an entry
      for him in a later edition than the one I've got? Perhaps someone
      could check? Nevertheless, some time ago I did read somewhere that
      Bennett had even done a short stint with Ellington. This morning
      before leaving for work I had time to play The Cooks in Trinidad, a
      1931 track from the Wilmoth Houdini CD I mentioned in an earlier
      posting. Bennett does sound a bit Cootie Williams-ish on this track.
      The band also includes the New Orleans-born bass player Al Morgan.
      Robert Greenwood.