Spencer Williams lp info?

  • ikey100
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2009
      Sorry if this postwar query is an off topic one, but I recently acquired the 1954 LP isued under Spencer Williams' name, "Spencer Williams, New Orleans to Stockholm" (Dot 3074), and am seeking details on the LP's origins and the musicians involved. Although the album claims that Williams "conducts" his own compositions, it might also be that he simply put his name to the performances with no actual musical involvement. It's a so-so lp of performances of Williams' songs by a mid-sized band, and while Williams wrote some biographical notes, there is no information given about the performers or arrangers. (Judging from his pre-war recordings with Teddy Bunn he was a pedestrian pianist). Can anyone shed any light on the origin of this lp, and perhaps some likely personnel?
      Thanks,
      Warren
    • Mordechai Litzman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2009
        Here is the info that you want (looks like Williams was the conductor):

        SPENCER WILLIAMS
        Spencer Williams med Elitorkester: (Collective personnel:) Ernie Englund, Weine Renliden, Jan Allan, Bengt-Arne Wallin tp,
        George Vernon, Sture Green, Gordon Olsson, Åke Persson tb, Fritz Fust, Arne Domnérus as, Bjarne Nerem, Rolf Blomquistts,
        Gösta Theselius arr (ts?), Gunnar Lundén-Welden arr (bars?), Rolf Larsson p, Bengt Högberg g, Georg Riedel b, Egil Johansen
        dr, unknown strings, Spencer Williams, Thore Ehrling cond.
        Feb 28 (?),1957
        ROYAL GARDEN BLUES Knup KNEP12, Dot 3074
        PORTUGESE PAPER BOYS -- --
        PIANO PLAYIN’ PAPA (PAPPA SPELAR RAGTIME) -- --
        YOU’LL KISS AND RUN AWAY -- --
        CLOSER, CLOSER, CLOSER, CLOSER (PLUGGET) Knup KNEP13 --
        SOUTH SEA SAMBA -- --
        MARDI GRAS MASQUERADE -- --
        Add acc for the following side only.
        THE STREET MUSICIAN -- --