Re: Bernard Wolfe, Mezzrow, and Really the Blues

  • Robert Greenwood
    Message 1 of 79 , Jun 8, 2009
      Tommer
      As promised, a reply to your interesting post. This does move into areas beyond the remit of this list. Unavoidably.

      1. I don't know if Mezz was the first "wigga", or "white negro", but I would distinguish him from blackface acts in that he, unlike them, wished to masquerade as "black" (whatever that is) in every aspect of his life. All he did, of course, was to offer a caricature. Surely black people do not present a monolithic social entity undistinguished by class, age, religion, sex? Mezzrow only helps to perpetuate a debilitating stereotype and no way have the wiggas ever improved the real material position of black people or brought us any closer to moving beyond race (well, they wouldn't, would they?) and towards real equality. The notion that a person's "race", or their "ethnicity", or their "culture" says all that needs to be said about them, or is the most important thing about them, is deeply reactionary and finds fervent approval both from the far right and the far left.

      White musicians seem to have been involved with jazz right from the start. I don't accept that white musicians are necessarily imitating blacks or stealing from them their "culture." Jazz is American music in origin, and quickly found practitioners the world over.

      2. It is likely that Mezzrow's book gets published again and again due to its being a literary work. I think you have a point there. The point I'm making in my article is that Really the Blues is promoted as a counterculture text and displays all the puerile and politically reactionary characteristics one would expect from it as such. Finkelstein was a Marxist and a humanist; as such, his ideas are deeply unfashionable. The intellectual tradition he represents has all but died in the face of the collapse of communism, the defeat of the labour movement, postmodernism, fashionable pessimism, modish misanthropy (A.K.A. Environmentalism) whereby all human aspiration and productivity is seen as destructive, and the so-called end of ideology. The current poster boy for the chattering classes is the arch people-hater John Gray. In this climate no one is going to reprint Finkelstein's books.

      3. Yes, Mezzrow encourages and celebrates a reactionary passivity and resignation in the face of racism. Right on, Mezz…Light another joint…

      4. The book is puerile, reactionary, and self-serving.

      5. See 1 above.

      Best wishes,
      Robert.
      Message 79 of 79 , Jun 16, 2009
        Sadly, I have to report that ³the sweeter side of King Keppard² was a
        discographical misattribution on which Rudi Blesh built a flight of fancy.

        This particular piece of tosh is to be found in the ŒPostscript¹ appended to
        later editions of Blesh¹s ŒShining Trumpets¹. Keppard isn¹t even on the
        record cited as proto-Beiderbecke, Doc Cook¹s ŒI Got Worry¹. The trumpeter
        is probably Elwood Graham, whose presence is confirmed by his file
        attribution as a member of the vocal trio on ŒHum and Strum¹. As the date
        is 1928 comment on the likely direction of influence is probably
        superfluous. This is a showband doing what showbands do (giving the public
        what it wants). It would be an exaggeration to call ŒI Got Worry² a
        Whiteman-imitation but they are aiming at the same territory and Graham
        plays in the style he or the arranger considered appropriate for that job. I
        seriously doubt that anything more compliacted is happening.

        Incidentally despite what discographies say about the personnel of this
        session, Doc Poston is certainly present since the files name him as one of
        the vocal trio too, unless there really was a musician called ³Postum² in
        the band.