Please Identify these songs and artists.

  • fredhibbard
    Message 1 of 6 , May 27, 2009
      I am a newbie here. I fell in love with 20's Jazz from Grapevine and Videobrary silent comedy tapes. I have heard the following songs for years and their identity have stumped all of my other jazz friends. If someone could identify these songs with the artist and year I would be most grateful. I wish to download or buy cds of these songs with better quality sound.

      Tune # 1:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR_mhxvaEOs

      Tune # 2:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsM91ntKdBE

      Tune # 3:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a2ly8j3J8c

      Thanks,

      Tommie Hicks
    • folke613@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 27, 2009
        The second tune is Old Man Rhythm recorded 6-28-29 with Anthony Parenti cl and Vic Breidis on p. - One of my all time favorites!
        (Available on the RHJA)

        Message 3 of 6 , May 27, 2009
          Number 1 is "Fireworks" by the Original Memphis 5, 3 also sound familiar, but I have to rack my brains to identify it.

          Michael Rader

          > I am a newbie here. I fell in love with 20's Jazz from Grapevine and
          > Videobrary silent comedy tapes. I have heard the following songs for
          > years and their identity have stumped all of my other jazz friends.
          > If someone could identify these songs with the artist and year I
          > would be most grateful. I wish to download or buy cds of these songs
          > with better quality sound.
          >
          > Tune # 1:
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR_mhxvaEOs

          Neu: WEB.DE FreeDSL Komplettanschluss mit DSL 6.000 Flatrate und
          Telefonanschluss für 17,95 Euro/mtl.!* http://produkte.web.de/go/02/
          Message 4 of 6 , May 27, 2009
            I remembered: 3 is Springfield Stomp by Cecil Scott and his Bright Boys. Both this and the Tony Parenti are available in great sound on Frog CDs: DGF 4 (Parenti) and DGF 11, a compilation of New York bands for the Cecil Scott. "Fireworks" was included in the "Aviator" soundtrack, but is also on Timeless OBC 1049 by the Original Memphis Five. All are in the RHJ archive as well.

            Best

            Michael Rader

            > I am a newbie here. I fell in love with 20's Jazz from Grapevine and
            > Videobrary silent comedy tapes. I have heard the following songs for
            > years and their identity have stumped all of my other jazz friends.
            > If someone could identify these songs with the artist and year I
            > would be most grateful. I wish to download or buy cds of these songs
            > with better quality sound.
            >
            > Tune # 1:
            >
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR_mhxvaEOs
            >
            > Tune # 2:
            >
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsM91ntKdBE
            >
            > Tune # 3:
            >
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a2ly8j3J8c
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Tommie Hicks

            Text: GRATIS für alle WEB.DE-Nutzer: Die maxdome Movie-FLAT!
            Jetzt freischalten unter http://produkte.web.de/go/04/
          • fredhibbard
            Message 5 of 6 , May 28, 2009
              Thank you all for your timely and knowledgeable answers. This list is an excellent resource and I am most grateful.

              Tommie Hicks

              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...> wrote:

              > I remembered: 3 is Springfield Stomp by Cecil Scott and his Bright Boys. Both this and the Tony Parenti are available in great sound on Frog CDs: DGF 4 (Parenti) and DGF 11, a compilation of New York bands for the Cecil Scott. "Fireworks" was included in the "Aviator" soundtrack, but is also on Timeless OBC 1049 by the Original Memphis Five. All are in the RHJ archive as well.
              >
              > Best
              >
              > Michael Rader
              >

              > > I am a newbie here. I fell in love with 20's Jazz from Grapevine and
              > > Videobrary silent comedy tapes. I have heard the following songs for
              > > years and their identity have stumped all of my other jazz friends.
              > > If someone could identify these songs with the artist and year I
              > > would be most grateful. I wish to download or buy cds of these songs
              > > with better quality sound.
              > >
              > > Tune # 1:
              > >
              > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR_mhxvaEOs
              > >
              > > Tune # 2:
              > >
              > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsM91ntKdBE
              > >
              > > Tune # 3:
              > >
              > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a2ly8j3J8c
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > >
              > > Tommie Hicks

              > Text: GRATIS für alle WEB.DE-Nutzer: Die maxdome Movie-FLAT!
              > Jetzt freischalten unter http://produkte.web.de/go/04/

            • Gilber M. Erskine
              Message 6 of 6 , May 28, 2009
                Mr Hicks:
                Tune #1 is "42nd Street". Dunno the band or date.
                Tune#2 is based on the 12 bar blues changes. I haven't heard the Tony Parenti/Vic Breidis side, but that sounds right.
                Tune#2 Sounds like 1926, Dunno the tune or musicians.
                ---------GILBERT M. ERSKINE