Re: Bernard Wolfe, Mezzrow, and Really the Blues

  • Tommer
    Message 1 of 79 , May 27, 2009
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood" <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:
      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Tommer" <tommersl@> wrote:
      > > I think a review on a book should be on the book, not on the person!
      > > And Mezzrow's book is a great book IMO, well written, the first chapter was highly interesting to me, a fast read, later it became slower, and the information about musicians in the book is priceless!
      > > Tommer
      > >
      > Since Really the Blues is an autobiography (of sorts...), some discussion of its author is unavoidable. Mezzrow seems still to rouse strong feelings. I can't think of a better reason to write about him.

      Review can maybe be regarded as a form of art on it's own right, so reviewers are doing it the way they want. I personally don't like the reviews that are psychological analysis of the subject, because I prefer a review that leaves some space for open minds.

      I interviewed a musician who personally knew Panassie and Mezzrow and when I calculated it into article, I left it as is, didn't touch it or put a take of my own on things, that the way I like to read things. But I respect other ideas of people, I just think, that a book should be reviewed in the first place as a book. It doesn't matter whether it is autobiography or not.

      In my country, one well known writer was asked by his grandaughter to help her with her schoolwork about his book, and he helped her, for resulting 80 out of 100. It was his own book! But it is a book and analysis of it may be very different from what he was, his character, ideas, and what he meant his book to be!

      Message 79 of 79 , Jun 16, 2009
        Sadly, I have to report that ³the sweeter side of King Keppard² was a
        discographical misattribution on which Rudi Blesh built a flight of fancy.

        This particular piece of tosh is to be found in the ŒPostscript¹ appended to
        later editions of Blesh¹s ŒShining Trumpets¹. Keppard isn¹t even on the
        record cited as proto-Beiderbecke, Doc Cook¹s ŒI Got Worry¹. The trumpeter
        is probably Elwood Graham, whose presence is confirmed by his file
        attribution as a member of the vocal trio on ŒHum and Strum¹. As the date
        is 1928 comment on the likely direction of influence is probably
        superfluous. This is a showband doing what showbands do (giving the public
        what it wants). It would be an exaggeration to call ŒI Got Worry² a
        Whiteman-imitation but they are aiming at the same territory and Graham
        plays in the style he or the arranger considered appropriate for that job. I
        seriously doubt that anything more compliacted is happening.

        Incidentally despite what discographies say about the personnel of this
        session, Doc Poston is certainly present since the files name him as one of
        the vocal trio too, unless there really was a musician called ³Postum² in
        the band.