Sidney Bechet and his New Yorkers in a 1930 movie

  • uli
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3 5:40 AM
      Sidney Bechet played in 1929/30 in Berlin.
      He appearanced with his Band in "Haus Vaterland" - "House Fatherland",
      a big amusement palace near the Postdamer place.
      The house had 12 restaurants, a cinema, a cafe with 2500 seats.
      Each of the restaurants and bars with another topic and own entertaining,
      vaudeville and music: vienna, turkey, the rhine falls - and the PALMEN GARDEN.
      In this bar played Sidney Bechet.

      In summer 1930 a sound movie, still a novum at this time in germany,
      was done. Bechet appeared with his band in the last act of the movie.

      The movie "Einbrecher (burglar)" starring Lilian Harvey, Willy Fritsch,
      Heinz Rühmann, Oskar Sima and others, premiered on 16. December 1930.

      While the story line acts in Paris, the movie was shoot in Berlin.
      The last scenes are playing in a "typical Paris Negro Bar..". With this last part of the
      movie you can hear and see Sidney Bechet and his Band.
      Here is Bechet and his Band on You Tube:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcI-pX_NDYs

      Those scenes aren´t done in the studio - this bar you can see really existed!
      It is the Palmen Garten of the Haus Vaterland in Berlin.
      The movie was done between June and September 1930.

      I found different prob. band members:
      1)
      ? Gabriel (tpt), Jimmy Bell (tpt/clt/alt), Sidney Bechet (sop/clt),
      ?Friedrich Hollaender?(piano), ?Harald M. Kirchstein? (gtr), ?Mike McKendrick (bjo),
      ?Hans Holdt (tuba), Paul Delvi (dms), Louis Douglas (dance)

      2)
      Gabriel Dores, tp; Paul Buismann, tuba; Sidney Bechet, sop/cl;
      Lex van Spall, sax, gtr; Heinz Giehl, piano; William McAllan, bjo (on camera only); Paul Delvi, dms

      Can anyone identify other band members?
      I even can´t see a brass bass in the movie, but sometimes
      I think I can hear one....
      Friedrich Hollander composed the music to the movie and wasn´t a regular Bandmember.

      The last three titels are interrupted by dialogues, but the music gives a good idea of how Bechet sounded in 1930.
      Neither the film files nor title credits mention Bechet or any other of the negro artist.

      Because of the hot jazz scenes and the negro actors, but also because Hollander and others
      of the cast are jew, the movie was prohibited after 1933.
    • Gilber M. Erskine
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3 11:21 AM
        Very interesting, though I don't approve of the way jazz was presented in this film. This, like Bessie Smith's 'St Louis Blues', denigrates both the music and the musicians.
        I have no clue on the identity of the musicians other than Bechet.
        Thanks for posting the link...
        ----------GILBERT M. ERSKINE

      • levi.marco@libero.it
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3 11:39 AM