Re: Kick Drum

  • Randy Skretvedt
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2009
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Ron L" <lherault@...> wrote:

      > I'll bet his edentulous look is make-up, to make him look more like a
      > "hayseed".
      >
      > Ron L

      UCLA ran the Mound City Blue Blowers' 1929 short "The Opry House" last Saturday night, in a beautiful 35mm print, as part of a Vitaphone shorts festival. The lineup of the band was Red McKenzie, kazoo and vocal; Josh Billings, suitcase (also a fine eccentric dancer); Carl Kress, guitar; Jack Bland, banjo. The songs played were "I Ain't Got Nobody," "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" (vocal by Emma Perkins) and "My Gal Sal." In that sparkling print, it was easy to see that Josh's teeth had been blacked out for comic effect.

      The MCBB's other short, "Nine O'Clock Folks" (1931) is actually the one which features "St. Louis Blues"; the Internet Movie Database's lineup for the MCBB is incorrect, as Josh Billings is still with the group here and Eddie Lang does not appear.