Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Louis Armstrong's OKeh recording of "St.Louis Blues"

  • Gilber M. Erskine
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 18, 2009
      I suppose by now most everyone here has heard/seen Susan Boyle on the Brit TV talent show. It got rave reviews.
      She did "I Dreamed A Dream" from the musical "Les Miserables", and everyone was stunned by the voice of this unglamorous 47-year old.

      Well, Scotland's DAILY RECORD found a 1999 CD that Susan did for a charity event. Only 1000 copies were made, and everyone is scrambling to find one.

      I am absolutely floored with this CD. Susan sings "Cry Me A River", and it is the closest thing to the haunting, plantive singing of early Lee Wiley i've ever heard---

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2DxkrgpgQ

      ----------------GILBERT M. ERSKINE

      From: Robert Greenwood <robertgreenwood_54uk@...>
      To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, March 23, 2009, 6:51 AM

      There were also non-vocal takes of Dallas Blues and, I think, I Ain't Got Nobody. The following year (1930) Louis recorded vocal and non-vocal takes of Some of These Days and When You're Smiling.

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, aprestitine@ ... wrote:

      > hello, there were 3 takes to "st louis blues", here is the discographical data

      > Louis Armstrong and his Orchestra : Louis Armstrong (tp,vcl) Otis Johnson, Henry Allen (tp) J.C. Higginbotham (tb) Albert Nicholas, Charlie Holmes (cl,as) Teddy Hill (cl,ts) Luis Russell (p) Will Johnson (g) George "Pops" Foster (b) Paul Barbarin (d)

      > New York, December 13, 1929

      > 403495-B St Louis blues Ok 41350, Voc 3008, etc (ad infinitum) this is the common take

      > 490016-A St Louis blues Col CK46996, CBS CD467919-2

      > 490016-B St Louis blues - , -

      > one of the three takes was instrumental, all 3 are on a Columbia CD together BTW, excellent music, was prob for Argentine issue, but the Argentine A&R men prob decided on the vocal take, if it was issued there.

      > hope this helps

      > Yves Francois

      > --- On Sat, 3/21/09, danvanlandingham <danvanlandingham@ ...> wrote:

      > From: danvanlandingham <danvanlandingham@ ...>

      > Subject: [RedHotJazz] Louis Armstrong's OKeh recording of "St.Louis Blues"

      > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com

      > I was listening to the RHJ site and accessed Armstrong's 1929 OKeh recording of "Saint Louis Blues".The masters I heard had no vocal.Back

      > in 1968,I bought an old LP on Columbia Special Products which included

      > a recording of Armstrong of the song.This version had a vocal.The album

      > I had was called "Remember How Great" and was a promo offer by Lucky St-

      > rike cigarettes back in the late fifties or early sixties.I've since fo-

      > und a couple more LPs of the same album.Come to think of it,there was

      > another volume of this album with different artists.Can anyone out there

      > shed some light on this other master with the Armstrong vocal.

    • Tommer
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 21, 2009
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Gilber M. Erskine" <gerskine@...> wrote:

        > I suppose by now most everyone here has heard/seen Susan Boyle on the Brit TV talent show. It got rave reviews.
        > She did "I Dreamed A Dream" from the musical "Les Miserables", and everyone was stunned by the voice of this unglamorous 47-year old.
        >
        > Well, Scotland's DAILY RECORD found a 1999 CD that Susan did for a charity event. Only 1000 copies were made, and everyone is scrambling to find one.
        >
        > I am absolutely floored with this CD. Susan sings "Cry Me A River", and it is the closest thing to the haunting, plantive singing of early Lee Wiley i've ever heard---
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2DxkrgpgQ
        >
        > ----------------GILBERT M. ERSKINE

        I think it proves that todays media can push anything they want, they can create and destroy heroes at will, but that is not to put down the Ms. Boyle powerful old school singing.

        Here is another old school woman, this time singing the deep old school Gospel music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6bVunARH8I

        Tommer
      • Epistrophy
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 21, 2009
          Thanks for sharing this. I think it's wonderful that she's being given a chance to shine on the show. The American edition is all about looks and flash, it seems. There would be NO chance of Kurt Nilsen, the recent "World Idol", winning anything in the United States because he looks like the offspring of Louie Anderson and Alfred E. Neuman. Never mind that he has one of the most magnificent voices out there today. Kudos to Susan Boyle for breaking the mold.

          - Todd, lurker

        • jaykay_4444
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 21, 2009
            Susan Boyle reminds us that once in a generation (or two generations), even nowadays, a singer can be acclaimed for the quality of her (or his) voice, regardless of her lacking the razzle-dazzle qualities that show biz requires. That's encouraging. As soon as I heard Susan Boyle, I was reminded of Kate Smith. But of course Kate Smith was almost exclusively a radio singer, whereas Susan Boyle's success is likely to be restricted without "...the costumes, the scenery, the makeup, the props..." - I'm sorry to say.