RE: [RedHotJazz] personnel in Vitaphones

  • David Weiner
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 13, 2009
      All the research has been done; full info can be found in the books
      "Vitaphone Films: A Catalogue of the Features and Shorts"by Roy Liebman
      and
      "The First Hollywood Sound Shorts, 1926-1931" by Edwin M. Bradley

      Most of the shorts are fully described in the IMDB - for example, the
      Jazzmania Quintette:

      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1144497/

      Dave W.

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 14, 2009
        Excellent, indispensible (and expensive) as Liebman¹s Vitaphone book is, it
        does not contain band personnels in the sense that I assume the enquirer is
        looking for. This is probably because they are not credited on the prints.
        There are occasional exceptions (e.g Vitaphone 827 by Norman Thomas
        Quintette) where I assume all particpants were regarded as principals.

        Neither Liebman nor the IMDb reference cited gives the personnel of The Hot
        Four on Vitaphone 2349 and I assume that¹s what the enquirer is looking for.

        Many of the later African-American band shorts from the 30s are described in
        full with personnels in the works of Klaus Stratemann.

        I suspect the main reason no one else has done this work is simply that the
        material has mostly been unavailable to work with.