personnel in Vitaphones

  • veniero_molari
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 13, 2009
      How is it possible that NOBODY,even in the States,has tried to identify the personnel of the many Vitaphones unearthed recently (for me at least)?
      Even in the notes accompanying the Al Jolson "The jazz singer" there is only the list of the tunes shown in disc 3: quoting from the useless notes: " over 4 hours worth of rare historic........" in all not a single description of any of the shorts shown. I wanted to know who were the "Stoll,Flynn & Company: The Jazzmania Quintette".
      Anybody can help?
      Also in some YouTube they are other Vitaphones, with wrong names of players, but NOTHING that you could expect to find in any discography reporting a jazz record.
      Well that's all to start (HOPEFULLY) a helpful discussion in the forum.
      Hooray for Red Hot Jazz,Veniero Molari
    • David Weiner
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 13, 2009
        All the research has been done; full info can be found in the books
        "Vitaphone Films: A Catalogue of the Features and Shorts"by Roy Liebman
        and
        "The First Hollywood Sound Shorts, 1926-1931" by Edwin M. Bradley

        Most of the shorts are fully described in the IMDB - for example, the
        Jazzmania Quintette:

        http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1144497/

        Dave W.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 14, 2009
          Excellent, indispensible (and expensive) as Liebman¹s Vitaphone book is, it
          does not contain band personnels in the sense that I assume the enquirer is
          looking for. This is probably because they are not credited on the prints.
          There are occasional exceptions (e.g Vitaphone 827 by Norman Thomas
          Quintette) where I assume all particpants were regarded as principals.

          Neither Liebman nor the IMDb reference cited gives the personnel of The Hot
          Four on Vitaphone 2349 and I assume that¹s what the enquirer is looking for.

          Many of the later African-American band shorts from the 30s are described in
          full with personnels in the works of Klaus Stratemann.

          I suspect the main reason no one else has done this work is simply that the
          material has mostly been unavailable to work with.