RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Cicero Thomas

    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 6 7:58 AM
      It is a privilege to hear via Michael from Chris Hillman, undisputed guv'ner
      in this area, and thanks to both.

      The test pressing identifying Mutt Carton is a new one on me and the
      clarinettist/altoist has always been identified as, and sounds like, Arnett.

      I have no access to the Thomas Muscle Shoals Devils sides of June 1925 but
      my Rust does not list George W.Thomas but Hersal on piano. How definite is
      Cicero on these ?

      I cite again from start to about 40 seconds on the King Mutt 'Mississippi
      Stomp' and a roughly similar time into the K.C. Tin Roof Stompers 'Aunt
      Jemina Stomp'. The trumpet phrasing is strikingly similar, both referring to
      the Oliver 'Dippermouth' break. These sessions are only about 30 days apart
      and it sounds like a regular routine that Cicero had worked out for this
      context and tempo.

      Thomas Devils sounds to me like the same man and here I particularly cite a
      distinctly Natty moment from 1-40 to 1-50 on 'Boot It Boy'. And why do I
      hear no clarinet on either take of 'Sho' Is Hot' ? The only explanation I
      can find is that the player turned up late or 'indisposed' which maybe
      points at Arnett.

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 7 12:35 AM
        With warm thanks to a fellow list member I have now heard the Muscle Shoals
        Devils sides and there is no aural evidence at all to place Cicero here but
        rather to the contrary.

        As this is 3 years earlier than any other Cicero we have it is not
        impossible that his style changed but my best opinion is that he is not on
        these sides.

      • stevenabrams78jazz
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 18, 2011
          2a. Re: Cicero Thomas
          Posted by: "spacelights" spacelights@... spacelights
          I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet, but are the Kansas City
          Stompers and Kansas City Tin Roof Stompers sessions reversed on Frog
          DGF70...?
          On Collector's Classics CD 'The Junie Cobb Collection' and LP 'Chicago in
          the 20'ies (sic) - Part 2', the track listed as "Aunt Jemima Stomp" is
          Frog's "Shanghai Honeymoon"... and so on.
          Which reissue is correct?
          Hi Folks:
          There is an easy way to tell "Shanghai Honeymoon"
          It is a rip off 'JUST A SONG AT TWILIGHT'

          My first post since joining this group and hope it helps.
          STEVEN ABRAMS
          SAN FRANCISCO
          STEVENSO-B@...