Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Cicero Thomas

    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 6, 2009
      You might have mentioned this before, but I didn't remember whether it was as *Cicero* or as *Lawrence*. Another question is where the suggestion for Cicero Thomas as an accompanist for a Sippie Wallace came from. Chris Hillman now has Dave Nelson as a likely candidate.

      Michael Rader

      > Cicero Thomas is named as a member of this Walter Barnes band at this
      > time
      > in Down Beat for 1 June 1940 (according to Index To Jazz). I thought
      > I had
      > already posted this information but perhaps I dreamt it. As I don¹t
      > have
      > immediate access to this issue of Down Beat I cannot confirm the
      > provenance
      > of the data.
      >
      > on 06/04/2009 07:41, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:
      >

      > > McCarthy isn't very helpful on the last matter: he lists Thomas as "
      > Lawrence"
      > > in the personnel, but discusses the recorded music for Lawrence "
      > Cicero"
      > > Thomas without indicating the reason for equating Lawrence with
      > Cicero (if you
      > > see what I mean). It would be helpful to know where and when Cicero
      > Thomas was
      > > first mentioned in print.
      > >
      > > Michael Rader,
      > > Karlsruhe,
      > > Germany
      > >

      > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.
      > com> ,

      > time in
      > ask him to
      > >> >

      > > Howard Rye, 20 Coppermill Lane, London, England, E17 7HB
      > > howard@...
      > > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

      Verschicken Sie SMS direkt vom Postfach aus - in alle deutschen und viele
      ausländische Netze zum gleichen Preis!
      https://produkte.web.de/webde_sms/sms
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 6, 2009
        It is a privilege to hear via Michael from Chris Hillman, undisputed guv'ner
        in this area, and thanks to both.

        The test pressing identifying Mutt Carton is a new one on me and the
        clarinettist/altoist has always been identified as, and sounds like, Arnett.

        I have no access to the Thomas Muscle Shoals Devils sides of June 1925 but
        my Rust does not list George W.Thomas but Hersal on piano. How definite is
        Cicero on these ?

        I cite again from start to about 40 seconds on the King Mutt 'Mississippi
        Stomp' and a roughly similar time into the K.C. Tin Roof Stompers 'Aunt
        Jemina Stomp'. The trumpet phrasing is strikingly similar, both referring to
        the Oliver 'Dippermouth' break. These sessions are only about 30 days apart
        and it sounds like a regular routine that Cicero had worked out for this
        context and tempo.

        Thomas Devils sounds to me like the same man and here I particularly cite a
        distinctly Natty moment from 1-40 to 1-50 on 'Boot It Boy'. And why do I
        hear no clarinet on either take of 'Sho' Is Hot' ? The only explanation I
        can find is that the player turned up late or 'indisposed' which maybe
        points at Arnett.

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
          With warm thanks to a fellow list member I have now heard the Muscle Shoals
          Devils sides and there is no aural evidence at all to place Cicero here but
          rather to the contrary.

          As this is 3 years earlier than any other Cicero we have it is not
          impossible that his style changed but my best opinion is that he is not on
          these sides.

        • stevenabrams78jazz
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 18, 2011
            2a. Re: Cicero Thomas
            Posted by: "spacelights" spacelights@... spacelights
            I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet, but are the Kansas City
            Stompers and Kansas City Tin Roof Stompers sessions reversed on Frog
            DGF70...?
            On Collector's Classics CD 'The Junie Cobb Collection' and LP 'Chicago in
            the 20'ies (sic) - Part 2', the track listed as "Aunt Jemima Stomp" is
            Frog's "Shanghai Honeymoon"... and so on.
            Which reissue is correct?
            Hi Folks:
            There is an easy way to tell "Shanghai Honeymoon"
            It is a rip off 'JUST A SONG AT TWILIGHT'

            My first post since joining this group and hope it helps.
            STEVEN ABRAMS
            SAN FRANCISCO
            STEVENSO-B@...