Re: [RedHotJazz] Do something

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2009
      I grew up on early country and western music(called "hillbilly" then)by way of my grandfather who was a "hoedown" fiddler(as opposed to being called a violinist).My
      parents have been singing the same '40s and '50s country tunes I have heard for the last
      fifty years.I play "hoedown"fiddle somewhat;the late Bob Wills and Spade Cooley have
      nothing to worry about.My mother is a Swiss Yodeler in the manner of singer Patsy Montana who was very popular in the mid '30s as was Elton Britt.
           There is a radio station out of Eugene,Oregon-call letters KRVM(which stands for Keeping Variety in Music.They play a wide variety of music and on Saturday Morning,9:00
      am PDST.They are on the web as well.John Etheridge(a former Texan)hosts this two hour
      radio which I catch every Saturday morning.He has recordings that go back into the 1920s.
      A couple of years ago,I was listening to his show and he played a 1928 recording of the
      song "Lovesick Blues".Etheridge claimed both Dorsey brothers were on the recording which
      was probably recorded on OKeh.The song was written by either Spencer or Clarence Williams.It was considered to be a pop song.I once had a few such recordings myself a
      few years ago but my sister in law sold them without my permission.I have seen many
      people who switched to country after the big band days.Some of the hottest fiddle and guitar solos I've heard were played by the likes of Bob Wills(1905-73;his instrument was
      the violin)and his Texas Playboys,Spade Cooley(violinist;1910-69),Tex Williams and his
      Western Caravan and the forgotten Frank Linville and his Fiddlin'  Linvilles(he recorded for
      the KING label).They cut a version of an old song called "Snow Deer" and towards the end
      of the record,the electric guitarist cuts loose with a smoking solo outclassing Bob Wills
      guitarist Eldon Shamblin,the arranger for Wills as well as guitarists Jimmy Wyble(a great
      guitarist as well)and the likes of guitarists Tiny Moore and Herb Remington(they worked
      for Wills in 1947 when Wills left Columbia for MGM).I had heard Jethro Burns(mandolin),
      Chet Atkins in a group heard on the long since defunct hillbilly comedy variety how Hee
      Haw playing with tenor saxophonist Boots Randolph and pianist Floyd Cramer.All were
      successful RCA artists.Cramer was not a favorite of mine:I preferred Moon Mullican who
      had a hit recording called "I'll Sail My Ship Along" which was covered nicely by Jerry Lee
      Lewis.Jethro Burns and guitarist Homer Haynes were a famous duo who spoofed both pop,
      country and one one occasion,The Beatles("I Want to Hold Your Hand" by the "Cockroaches" on RCA in 1964.Haynes died of a heart attack in 1971 at the age of 59).
      This should help you.