RE: [RedHotJazz] Kick Drum

  • David Weiner
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2009
      The personnel includes Red McKenzie on comb and megaphone & Eddie Condon on
      the first guitar - the splice is in the original film; it looks as if
      McKenzie was about to sing and that was clipped out. All copies I've seen
      of the film are exactly the same.

      Dave W.

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2009
        Yeah, that toothless kid on kick-drum is terrific, both rhythmically and visually. I'm pretty sure Jack Bland is the other guitar player along with Eddie Condon. The rhythm section boots along perfectly. And I like this tune. I wish I could have been there.
        --------GILBERT M. ERSKINE

      • hanseekhoff@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 29, 2009
          The same clip can be seen in a better quality here:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5QFR4whDdo&feature=related

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 30, 2009
            THANKS!
            The same clip can be seen in a better quality here:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5QFR4whDdo&feature=related

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Gilber M. Erskine" <gerskine@...> wrote:

            > Yeah, that toothless kid on kick-drum is terrific, both rhythmically and visually. I'm pretty sure Jack Bland is the other guitar player along with Eddie Condon. The rhythm section boots along perfectly. And I like this tune. I wish I could have been there.
            > --------GILBERT M. ERSKINE

          • Tony Standish
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 30, 2009
              Who, then, was the suitcase kicker on that great clip?
              It's late at night, here, and my copy of We Called It Music is in a box
              somewhere, but I remember Eddie writing that there one Josh Billings played
              the brushes.
              Google Josh Billings. Interesting result!

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 30, 2009
                The orthodontically-challenged suitcase kicker definitely is Josh Billings.

                Nick

                2009/4/30 Tony Standish <mojohand@...>

                > Who, then, was the suitcase kicker on that great clip?
                > It's late at night, here, and my copy of We Called It Music is in a box
                > somewhere, but I remember Eddie writing that there one Josh Billings played
                >
                > the brushes.
                > Google Josh Billings. Interesting result!

              • Ron L
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 30, 2009
                  I'll bet his edentulous look is make-up, to make him look more like a
                  "hayseed".

                  Ron L

                  The orthodontically-challenged suitcase kicker definitely is Josh Billings.

                  Nick

                  2009/4/30 Tony Standish <mojohand@...>

                  > Who, then, was the suitcase kicker on that great clip?
                  > It's late at night, here, and my copy of We Called It Music is in a box
                  > somewhere, but I remember Eddie writing that there one Josh Billings
                  played

                  > the brushes.
                  > Google Josh Billings. Interesting result!

                  04/29/09

                  > > 18:03:00

                • Randy Skretvedt
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 30, 2009
                    --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Ron L" <lherault@...> wrote:

                    > I'll bet his edentulous look is make-up, to make him look more like a
                    > "hayseed".
                    >
                    > Ron L

                    UCLA ran the Mound City Blue Blowers' 1929 short "The Opry House" last Saturday night, in a beautiful 35mm print, as part of a Vitaphone shorts festival. The lineup of the band was Red McKenzie, kazoo and vocal; Josh Billings, suitcase (also a fine eccentric dancer); Carl Kress, guitar; Jack Bland, banjo. The songs played were "I Ain't Got Nobody," "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" (vocal by Emma Perkins) and "My Gal Sal." In that sparkling print, it was easy to see that Josh's teeth had been blacked out for comic effect.

                    The MCBB's other short, "Nine O'Clock Folks" (1931) is actually the one which features "St. Louis Blues"; the Internet Movie Database's lineup for the MCBB is incorrect, as Josh Billings is still with the group here and Eddie Lang does not appear.