Kick Drum

  • Mordechai Litzman
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2009
      Here is an absolutely hilarious 1929 Vitaphone clip of the Mound City Blue Blowers, giving a new meaning to the the term kick drum. The percussion consists of a suitcase, dinner napkin and two whisk brooms. Honorable mention also goes to another unusual instument; an amplified (megaphone style) comb.
      If I understand correctly these early sound films consisted of a record and a film projector, and it looks like the sound is a little bit out of sync in the beginning. It also seems that a part of the recording was edited out in the middle. Would appreciate it if somebody could advise where to find the complete recording, if available.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4W92tIXhZQ

    • Ron L
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2009
        I think I've seen this before. Vitaphone was a process that used a disk to
        record the sound and play it back in synch with the film. Out of synch
        things show up on Youtube and it is not the fault of the original material
        in most cases, I think.

        Many of these Vitaphone shorts show up as added features on newly issued
        sets of restored old films such as Jolson's "The Jazz Singer". Sometimes
        they are better than the feature itself!

        Ron L

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2009
          The personnel includes Red McKenzie on comb and megaphone & Eddie Condon on
          the first guitar - the splice is in the original film; it looks as if
          McKenzie was about to sing and that was clipped out. All copies I've seen
          of the film are exactly the same.

          Dave W.

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2009
            Yeah, that toothless kid on kick-drum is terrific, both rhythmically and visually. I'm pretty sure Jack Bland is the other guitar player along with Eddie Condon. The rhythm section boots along perfectly. And I like this tune. I wish I could have been there.
            --------GILBERT M. ERSKINE

          • hanseekhoff@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 29, 2009
              The same clip can be seen in a better quality here:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5QFR4whDdo&feature=related

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 30, 2009
                THANKS!
                The same clip can be seen in a better quality here:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5QFR4whDdo&feature=related

                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Gilber M. Erskine" <gerskine@...> wrote:

                > Yeah, that toothless kid on kick-drum is terrific, both rhythmically and visually. I'm pretty sure Jack Bland is the other guitar player along with Eddie Condon. The rhythm section boots along perfectly. And I like this tune. I wish I could have been there.
                > --------GILBERT M. ERSKINE

              • Tony Standish
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 30, 2009
                  Who, then, was the suitcase kicker on that great clip?
                  It's late at night, here, and my copy of We Called It Music is in a box
                  somewhere, but I remember Eddie writing that there one Josh Billings played
                  the brushes.
                  Google Josh Billings. Interesting result!

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 30, 2009
                    The orthodontically-challenged suitcase kicker definitely is Josh Billings.

                    Nick

                    2009/4/30 Tony Standish <mojohand@...>

                    > Who, then, was the suitcase kicker on that great clip?
                    > It's late at night, here, and my copy of We Called It Music is in a box
                    > somewhere, but I remember Eddie writing that there one Josh Billings played
                    >
                    > the brushes.
                    > Google Josh Billings. Interesting result!

                  • Ron L
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 30, 2009
                      I'll bet his edentulous look is make-up, to make him look more like a
                      "hayseed".

                      Ron L

                      The orthodontically-challenged suitcase kicker definitely is Josh Billings.

                      Nick

                      2009/4/30 Tony Standish <mojohand@...>

                      > Who, then, was the suitcase kicker on that great clip?
                      > It's late at night, here, and my copy of We Called It Music is in a box
                      > somewhere, but I remember Eddie writing that there one Josh Billings
                      played

                      > the brushes.
                      > Google Josh Billings. Interesting result!

                      04/29/09

                      > > 18:03:00

                    • Randy Skretvedt
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 30, 2009
                        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Ron L" <lherault@...> wrote:

                        > I'll bet his edentulous look is make-up, to make him look more like a
                        > "hayseed".
                        >
                        > Ron L

                        UCLA ran the Mound City Blue Blowers' 1929 short "The Opry House" last Saturday night, in a beautiful 35mm print, as part of a Vitaphone shorts festival. The lineup of the band was Red McKenzie, kazoo and vocal; Josh Billings, suitcase (also a fine eccentric dancer); Carl Kress, guitar; Jack Bland, banjo. The songs played were "I Ain't Got Nobody," "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" (vocal by Emma Perkins) and "My Gal Sal." In that sparkling print, it was easy to see that Josh's teeth had been blacked out for comic effect.

                        The MCBB's other short, "Nine O'Clock Folks" (1931) is actually the one which features "St. Louis Blues"; the Internet Movie Database's lineup for the MCBB is incorrect, as Josh Billings is still with the group here and Eddie Lang does not appear.