Emile Barnes (and "St Louis Blues" Shields) was Re: Willie Joseph

  • jtdyamond
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 30, 2009
      As a NO-style clarinettist, for many years I'd wondered where the St
      Louis Blues clarinet solo came from - all the New Orleans men played a
      version of it. So, back in 1980, I asked Willie Humphrey where he got
      the solo from. He looked at me, gave a mischievous smile and said, "I s
      everybody happy?" I didn't understand what he meant. He repeated, "Is
      everybody happy?" I still didn't understand, so he said, "Ted Lewis,
      man!" That was Ted Lewis's catchphraseÂ…

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"

      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 31, 2009
        Hello -- er -- ? -- a name would be nice.

        That is very interesting. Lewis recorded 'St. Louis' on 7 Dec 1922. There
        is a dreadful dire clarinet solo which is nothing at all like the Shields.

        Either Willie was being deliberately disingenuous or, through the folklore
        fog of 60 years, one 'celebrated' early white clarinettist had been confused
        with another.

        If the latter, I interpret as enhancing Shields claim to genuine authorship.

      • fearfeasa
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 31, 2009
          Maybe Shields did "write" the solo - maybe not. Did the ODJB or
          LaRocca-Shields write /Tiger Rag/ or was it Jelly Roll Morton? Or was it
          just a rip-off of /Play Jack Carey/? Did they write the /Dixie Jass Band
          One-Step/? Or was that just a rip-off of /Livery Stable Blues/? (The
          famous court case decided that no one could claim royalties.) Maybe we
          should all sit around a ouija board, hold hands and try to contact the
          living, as Ronnie Scott suggested. Maybe someone should have asked Picou
          or Big Eye? Picou would have claimed it - Big Eye would have disagreed.

          A better question than 'Did Shields "write" the solo?' would be 'Who did
          Shields get it from?' The essence of NO jazz was and still is, that it
          is an urban folk music, without "authors."

          Willie liked to joke. That reply was his way of taking the piss - but
          also of telling me, 'Don't be asking me those silly questions. It's the
          tradition - I'm part of the tradition and so is that solo. I'm proud of
          the tradition, so I learnt the traditional solo /and made it my own/ -
          just as Larry Shields did. Now let's talk about something else." Which
          we did.

          As for my name. Over on the right there, you'll see that this was posted
          by "jtdyamond." Is that not enough for the time being? Lighten up, for
          now, please....

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 31, 2009
            > As for my name. Over on the right there, you'll see that this was posted
            > by "jtdyamond." Is that not enough for the time being? Lighten up, for
            > now, please....

            Hi, X, a.k.a. "for the time being"

            I thought David's kind reminder would relieve me from the task of sending
            you a serious warning, but seeing your reply I'm afraid "for the time being"
            is likely to turn into "how long?" in no time.

            You received the group's rules and recommendations as everyone else, didn't
            you? So calm down a bit and read them, they'll teach you a lot, like not
            sending 300 lines of unnecessary quotes as you did in your very first post
            to the group, and avoiding nasty comments when someone suggests you to
            behave like everybody else.

            I know, none of us is everybody else, but signing one's name is elementary
            politeness and we're not supposed to extract your identity from an email
            address, full stop (or period, for non-British)
            Introducing oneself before posting is also a custom here. Up to you if you
            don't want to, but you were a lot more talkative about yourself while
            requesting subscription, right?

            Sorry if the group-owner is such an unpleasant guy, but I've already seen
            great experts blow a Yahoo group into pieces because they weren't warned on
            time, and I won't reiterate the Linda experience for six months.

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 2, 2009
              Thanks to Patrice and really to Mr Dyamond. (?) The views of a practising
              musician are usually to be welcomed.

              Also definitely of value, first hand reports of what musicians, such as
              Willie, said about their music.

              I also recommend use of the Group archive. Threads tend to get spread and
              confused and Dodds in the 30s and the Shields solo have been discussed under
              several headers.

              A search with musician's name will produce all relevant posts.

            • silverleafjb
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 16, 2009
                I think Willie was winding you up...

                Cheers,