Re: [RedHotJazz] Louis Thompson (was Cicero Thomas)

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2009
      The Louis Thompson spelling with Walter Barnes is as quoted from Down Beat 1
      June 1940 in Index to Jazz, which will be Jazz Directory¹s source. I think
      Thompsen with Willie Bryant is likely to be just a typo. It is Thompson in
      Index to Jazz (and in Rust). Rust also has Louis Thompson with Art Karle.
      Bass Thompson comes from Index to Jazz which cites Schleman¹s Rhythm On
      Record (1936) as its source. More interestingly I wonder what evidence there
      is that these are all the same person. There is no reason why they should
      not be (Karle¹s is a mixed group).

      Schleman also lists Louis Thompson but not Cicero Thomas for the 1929 Walter
      Barnes session. He gives the trumpeters as George Thigpen, Leon Scott and
      Edward Burke. In the 1940 Down Beat personnel now accepted Thigpen is
      retained and Burke has become a trombonist.