Do something

  • Wouter Maréchal
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 29, 2009
      On april 9th 1929 The McKinney's Cotton Pickers recorded Do Something (Bud Green - Sam Stept).
      Then there was a cross-over to western swing and The Rice Brothers Gang recoded the same song on june 15th 1938 and postwar in 1955 by Country All Star (Jethro Burns, Chet Atkins ...)
      Any one out there who knows of other prewar recordings of this song?
      We just re-recorded this song and all background info would be welcom.
      Thanks
      Wouter M.

    • Albert Haim
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 29, 2009
        There are many recordings of this song. You have to be careful in searching because, according to ASCAP, there are dozens and dozens of tunes with that title.

        Here are some 1920s (all but one from 1929) recordings of the same tune recorded by McKinney's Cotton Pickers.

        Helen Kane
        Carolina Club Orchestra
        Del Delbridge And His Capitol Theater Orchestra
        Sam Lanin
        Merle Johnston

        The Brits also got into the act
        Ambrose
        Jack Payne
        Arthur Roseberry
        Alfredo

        There are many more in the following decades. Two that I highlight are by Dick Sudhalter's Anglo American Band and by the San Francisco Starlight Orchestra.

        Vous avez très bon goût. C'est une belle chanson.

        Amicalemant,

        Albert

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Wouter Maréchal <wouter.marechal@...> wrote:

        > On april 9th 1929 The McKinney's Cotton Pickers recorded Do Something (Bud Green - Sam Stept).
        > Then there was a cross-over to western swing and The Rice Brothers Gang recoded the same song on june 15th 1938 and postwar in 1955 by Country All Star (Jethro Burns, Chet Atkins ...)
        > Any one out there who knows of other prewar recordings of this song?
        > We just re-recorded this song and all background info would be welcom.
        > Thanks
        > Wouter M.

      • Albert Haim
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 29, 2009
          "Do Something" was one of the tunes in the soundtrack of the 1929 film "Syncopation." It was performed by Dorothy Lee and Morton Downey. Available on youtube at

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i54FmXMhMp0

          Albert

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Albert Haim" <alberthaim@...> wrote:

          > There are many recordings of this song. You have to be careful in searching because, according to ASCAP, there are dozens and dozens of tunes with that title.
          >
          > Here are some 1920s (all but one from 1929) recordings of the same tune recorded by McKinney's Cotton Pickers.
          >
          > Helen Kane
          > Carolina Club Orchestra
          > Del Delbridge And His Capitol Theater Orchestra
          > Sam Lanin
          > Merle Johnston
          >
          > The Brits also got into the act
          > Ambrose
          > Jack Payne
          > Arthur Roseberry
          > Alfredo
          >
          > There are many more in the following decades. Two that I highlight are by Dick Sudhalter's Anglo American Band and by the San Francisco Starlight Orchestra.
          >
          > Vous avez très bon goût. C'est une belle chanson.
          >
          > Amicalemant,
          >
          > Albert
          >
          > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Wouter Maréchal <wouter.marechal@> wrote:
          > >
          > > On april 9th 1929 The McKinney's Cotton Pickers recorded Do Something (Bud Green - Sam Stept).
          > > Then there was a cross-over to western swing and The Rice Brothers Gang recoded the same song on june 15th 1938 and postwar in 1955 by Country All Star (Jethro Burns, Chet Atkins ...)
          > > Any one out there who knows of other prewar recordings of this song?
          > > We just re-recorded this song and all background info would be welcom.
          > > Thanks
          > > Wouter M.

        • burlinson
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 29, 2009
            Others include:

            Enric Madriguera - Columbia 35465 - Vocal Honey Bunch
            Arthur Ross & his Westerners - Diva 2913 - Vocal Tom Frawley
            Zelma O'Neal - Brunswick 4330

            *Miami Society Orchestra - Oriole 1574 vocal Larry Holton/Jewel 5606
            *Broadway Broadcasters - Cameo 9158/Romeo 960/Lincoln 3185
            *John Vincent's Californians - Conqueror 7354/8715
            *Tuxedo Dance Orchestra - Perect 15171 vocal Harold Lang
            *The Badgers - Broadway 1274 - vocal Roland Lance

            * these are all the Sam Lanin & his orchestra
            (vocal by Harold 'Scrappy' Lambert) version recorded 26 April 1929
            using pseduonyms

            Nigel Burlinson

            There are many recordings of this song. You have to be careful in searching because, according to ASCAP, there are dozens and dozens of tunes with that title.

            Here are some 1920s (all but one from 1929) recordings of the same tune recorded by McKinney's Cotton Pickers.

            Helen Kane
            Carolina Club Orchestra
            Del Delbridge And His Capitol Theater Orchestra
            Sam Lanin
            Merle Johnston

            The Brits also got into the act
            Ambrose
            Jack Payne
            Arthur Roseberry
            Alfredo

            There are many more in the following decades. Two that I highlight are by Dick Sudhalter's Anglo American Band and by the San Francisco Starlight Orchestra.

            Vous avez très bon goût. C'est une belle chanson.

            Amicalemant,

            Albert

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Wouter Maréchal <wouter.marechal@...> wrote:

            > On april 9th 1929 The McKinney's Cotton Pickers recorded Do Something (Bud Green - Sam Stept).
            > Then there was a cross-over to western swing and The Rice Brothers Gang recoded the same song on june 15th 1938 and postwar in 1955 by Country All Star (Jethro Burns, Chet Atkins ...)
            > Any one out there who knows of other prewar recordings of this song?
            > We just re-recorded this song and all background info would be welcom.
            > Thanks
            > Wouter M.

          • Dan Van Landingham
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5 6:25 PM
              I grew up on early country and western music(called "hillbilly" then)by way of my grandfather who was a "hoedown" fiddler(as opposed to being called a violinist).My
              parents have been singing the same '40s and '50s country tunes I have heard for the last
              fifty years.I play "hoedown"fiddle somewhat;the late Bob Wills and Spade Cooley have
              nothing to worry about.My mother is a Swiss Yodeler in the manner of singer Patsy Montana who was very popular in the mid '30s as was Elton Britt.
                   There is a radio station out of Eugene,Oregon-call letters KRVM(which stands for Keeping Variety in Music.They play a wide variety of music and on Saturday Morning,9:00
              am PDST.They are on the web as well.John Etheridge(a former Texan)hosts this two hour
              radio which I catch every Saturday morning.He has recordings that go back into the 1920s.
              A couple of years ago,I was listening to his show and he played a 1928 recording of the
              song "Lovesick Blues".Etheridge claimed both Dorsey brothers were on the recording which
              was probably recorded on OKeh.The song was written by either Spencer or Clarence Williams.It was considered to be a pop song.I once had a few such recordings myself a
              few years ago but my sister in law sold them without my permission.I have seen many
              people who switched to country after the big band days.Some of the hottest fiddle and guitar solos I've heard were played by the likes of Bob Wills(1905-73;his instrument was
              the violin)and his Texas Playboys,Spade Cooley(violinist;1910-69),Tex Williams and his
              Western Caravan and the forgotten Frank Linville and his Fiddlin'  Linvilles(he recorded for
              the KING label).They cut a version of an old song called "Snow Deer" and towards the end
              of the record,the electric guitarist cuts loose with a smoking solo outclassing Bob Wills
              guitarist Eldon Shamblin,the arranger for Wills as well as guitarists Jimmy Wyble(a great
              guitarist as well)and the likes of guitarists Tiny Moore and Herb Remington(they worked
              for Wills in 1947 when Wills left Columbia for MGM).I had heard Jethro Burns(mandolin),
              Chet Atkins in a group heard on the long since defunct hillbilly comedy variety how Hee
              Haw playing with tenor saxophonist Boots Randolph and pianist Floyd Cramer.All were
              successful RCA artists.Cramer was not a favorite of mine:I preferred Moon Mullican who
              had a hit recording called "I'll Sail My Ship Along" which was covered nicely by Jerry Lee
              Lewis.Jethro Burns and guitarist Homer Haynes were a famous duo who spoofed both pop,
              country and one one occasion,The Beatles("I Want to Hold Your Hand" by the "Cockroaches" on RCA in 1964.Haynes died of a heart attack in 1971 at the age of 59).
              This should help you.