Stellar Dance Orchestra

  • danvanlandingham
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2009
      Some twenty-five years ago,I had an LP that featured a track by the "St-
      ellar Dance Orchestra".The label was Broadway.I mention this because the
      cornet heard sounded alot like Bix.Was there a time when Bix as well as
      Tram worked for another band beween Goldkette disbanding his orchestra
      in late 1927 and the time both men were hired by Whiteman late that year.I am aware of the short lived band led by bass saxophonist Adrian
      Rollini(I read of this band via Sudhalter's "Bix,Man and Legend" as well
      as the Columbia 4 record boxed set called "Thesaurus of Classic Jazz".I
      heard that album back in 1970 when I was a freshman in college at Coos
      Bay,Oregon.
    • Albert Haim
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 28, 2009
        I believe that you are referring to the "Unheard Bix" Album, Broadway 102, where one of the tracks is "You Took Advantage of Me" by the Imperial Dance Orchestra. This was a pseudonym used by Fred Rich. The trumpet player is Bob Mayhew, who was another trumpet player highly influenced by Bix. Mayhew was with Whiteman from Jun 1927 to Feb 1928. Bix joined Whiteman in Oct 1927. So Bix and Mayhew overlapped in the Whiteman orchestra for a few months. "You Took Advantage of Me" was recorded by Fred Rich on May 4, 1928. Whiteman also recorded the tune, with Bix, on April 25, 1928.

        Bix went from Goldkette to Rollini to Whiteman, and made a number of free-lance recordings (Broadway Bell-Hops, Chicago Loopers) in the Fall of 1927, but was not a member of other bands.

        Albert

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "danvanlandingham" <danvanlandingham@...> wrote:

        > Some twenty-five years ago,I had an LP that featured a track by the "St-
        > ellar Dance Orchestra".The label was Broadway.I mention this because the
        > cornet heard sounded alot like Bix.Was there a time when Bix as well as
        > Tram worked for another band beween Goldkette disbanding his orchestra
        > in late 1927 and the time both men were hired by Whiteman late that year.I am aware of the short lived band led by bass saxophonist Adrian
        > Rollini(I read of this band via Sudhalter's "Bix,Man and Legend" as well
        > as the Columbia 4 record boxed set called "Thesaurus of Classic Jazz".I
        > heard that album back in 1970 when I was a freshman in college at Coos
        > Bay,Oregon.

      • Dan Van Landingham
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2009
          I am fimiliar with Bob Mayhew because of Sudhalter but I never heard of him until I read
          Sudhalter's aforementioned book.I have no idea as to the influence Bix had on him.I have
          mentioned Bo and Bob Ashford as I've never heard any solo work save Ozzie Nelson's 1938
          Bluebird recording of "Says My Heart".One trumpeter/cornetist I have heard was Swanny
          Swenumsen via his cornet solo on Arnold Frank's Roger's Cafe Orchestra from 1927 on
          OKeh.What can you tell me about Bob Bruce?Again,I know of him by way of Sudhalter
          who said his work with the Triangle Club musicals at Princeton,New Jersey.