Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Louis Armstrong's OKeh recording of "St.Louis Blues"

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 24, 2009
      Thank you again for the personel on those Armstrong recordings.A  good friend of mine,
      John Enders now deceased,had a batch of those recordings issued on Parlophone.He
      was in the army during WW2 and bought them there.If I remember correctly,recording
      companies cut a vocal for the U.S. market and an instrumental for the European market.I
      have a circa 1980 album of Red Nichols on Sunbeam(on LP)and it included both versions.
      The liner notes were great:they should have used those notes when they made that 1959
      "bio-weeper" that had Danny Kaye playing Red Nichols.I remember John Enders telling me
      he saw the movie and just hated it.John was a big fan of Bix and Satchmo but he could not
      stomach the recordings Satchmo cut for both Victor and Decca.He did have Satchmo's
      late 1930s Deccas of "Savoy Blues" and "West End Blues".He died in 1987 at the age of
      76 in Ocean Shores,Washington.He had prostate cancer.

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 18, 2009
        I suppose by now most everyone here has heard/seen Susan Boyle on the Brit TV talent show. It got rave reviews.
        She did "I Dreamed A Dream" from the musical "Les Miserables", and everyone was stunned by the voice of this unglamorous 47-year old.

        Well, Scotland's DAILY RECORD found a 1999 CD that Susan did for a charity event. Only 1000 copies were made, and everyone is scrambling to find one.

        I am absolutely floored with this CD. Susan sings "Cry Me A River", and it is the closest thing to the haunting, plantive singing of early Lee Wiley i've ever heard---

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2DxkrgpgQ

        ----------------GILBERT M. ERSKINE

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 21, 2009
          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Gilber M. Erskine" <gerskine@...> wrote:

          > I suppose by now most everyone here has heard/seen Susan Boyle on the Brit TV talent show. It got rave reviews.
          > She did "I Dreamed A Dream" from the musical "Les Miserables", and everyone was stunned by the voice of this unglamorous 47-year old.
          >
          > Well, Scotland's DAILY RECORD found a 1999 CD that Susan did for a charity event. Only 1000 copies were made, and everyone is scrambling to find one.
          >
          > I am absolutely floored with this CD. Susan sings "Cry Me A River", and it is the closest thing to the haunting, plantive singing of early Lee Wiley i've ever heard---
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2DxkrgpgQ
          >
          > ----------------GILBERT M. ERSKINE

          I think it proves that todays media can push anything they want, they can create and destroy heroes at will, but that is not to put down the Ms. Boyle powerful old school singing.

          Here is another old school woman, this time singing the deep old school Gospel music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6bVunARH8I

          Tommer
        • Epistrophy
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 21, 2009
            Thanks for sharing this. I think it's wonderful that she's being given a chance to shine on the show. The American edition is all about looks and flash, it seems. There would be NO chance of Kurt Nilsen, the recent "World Idol", winning anything in the United States because he looks like the offspring of Louie Anderson and Alfred E. Neuman. Never mind that he has one of the most magnificent voices out there today. Kudos to Susan Boyle for breaking the mold.

            - Todd, lurker

          • jaykay_4444
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 21, 2009
              Susan Boyle reminds us that once in a generation (or two generations), even nowadays, a singer can be acclaimed for the quality of her (or his) voice, regardless of her lacking the razzle-dazzle qualities that show biz requires. That's encouraging. As soon as I heard Susan Boyle, I was reminded of Kate Smith. But of course Kate Smith was almost exclusively a radio singer, whereas Susan Boyle's success is likely to be restricted without "...the costumes, the scenery, the makeup, the props..." - I'm sorry to say.