Seminole Syncopators / Harry's Happy Four

  • John O
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 22, 2009
      Just listening to recent CD 'The Missourians--Stoppin' the Traffic' (Frog DGF 69), and most interested in the excellent small band sides by the Seminole Syncopators and Harry's Happy Four (1924-25). This release lacks composer credits; who (if anyone) might be credited as composer of "Sailing On Lake Ponchartrain"? Chilton has Harry Cooper born at Lake Charles, Louisiana (and pianist Graham Jackson as the leader of the Syncopators).
    • aprestitine@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 22, 2009
        John
        The composer credits were not listed in the Collectors Items LP 006, the last time this music was reissued. I do not have the Seminole 78 (wish I did, fantastic music), I do have one of the Harry's Happy Four ( the one w RQ as the second trumpet, I also own one coupling of the session with Sara Martin, the HHF are probably some of my favorite music ever committed to wax, I am quite transfixed by Harry Cooper, and follow him through all the records he made in Paris), I wonder this myself sometimes, excellent record, will check by Harry Happy Four 78 for the data this week
        all the best
        Yves Francois

        BTW did you notice the notes on the CD issue of the Missourians do not mention the excellent music before the Victor's on the CD ? Odd for Frog, they are usually so good about that.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 22, 2009
          OK, the Red Hot Jazz Archive shows:

          Sailing On Lake Pontchartrain (Emmet Walsh-Nell / Billy Wrigley)

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 22, 2009
            Thanks Yves, I just saw your message... Yes, I found it strange the Frog DGF 69 essay (about the Missourians) didn't mention these groups, nor Harry Cooper. Still, it's great to have these sides reissued together.

            I agree, much fantastic work by Cooper--his two sessions with Ellington (March 1926) quite intriguing as well.

            Cheers,

            John

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 22, 2009
              And that¹s roughly what it says on Okeh 40228 as well, actually Emmet
              Walsh-Nell and Bill Wrigley. Blue Grass Blues is credited to Blly
              Meyer-Elmer Schoebel. This from label scans I¹ve taken from eBay sometime.