Louis Armstrong's OKeh recording of "St.Louis Blues"

  • danvanlandingham
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 21, 2009
      I was listening to the RHJ site and accessed Armstrong's 1929 OKeh recording of "Saint Louis Blues".The masters I heard had no vocal.Back
      in 1968,I bought an old LP on Columbia Special Products which included
      a recording of Armstrong of the song.This version had a vocal.The album
      I had was called "Remember How Great" and was a promo offer by Lucky St-
      rike cigarettes back in the late fifties or early sixties.I've since fo-
      und a couple more LPs of the same album.Come to think of it,there was
      another volume of this album with different artists.Can anyone out there
      shed some light on this other master with the Armstrong vocal.
    • aprestitine@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 21, 2009
        hello, there were 3 takes to "st louis blues", here is the discographical data

        Louis Armstrong and his Orchestra : Louis Armstrong (tp,vcl) Otis Johnson, Henry Allen (tp) J.C. Higginbotham (tb) Albert Nicholas, Charlie Holmes (cl,as) Teddy Hill (cl,ts) Luis Russell (p) Will Johnson (g) George "Pops" Foster (b) Paul Barbarin (d)
        New York, December 13, 1929
        403495-B St Louis blues Ok 41350, Voc 3008, etc (ad infinitum) this is the common take

        490016-A St Louis blues Col CK46996, CBS CD467919-2

        490016-B St Louis blues  -            , -

        one of the three takes was instrumental, all 3 are on a Columbia CD together BTW, excellent music, was prob for Argentine issue, but the Argentine A&R men prob decided on the vocal take, if it was issued there.

        hope this helps
        Yves Francois

          I was listening to the RHJ site and accessed Armstrong's 1929 OKeh recording of "Saint Louis Blues".The masters I heard had no vocal.Back

        in 1968,I bought an old LP on Columbia Special Products which included

        a recording of Armstrong of the song.This version had a vocal.The album

        I had was called "Remember How Great" and was a promo offer by Lucky St-

        rike cigarettes back in the late fifties or early sixties.I've since fo-

        und a couple more LPs of the same album.Come to think of it,there was

        another volume of this album with different artists.Can anyone out there

        shed some light on this other master with the Armstrong vocal.
      • Dan Van Landingham
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 22, 2009
          Thanks for the information.Every now and then I'll run on to a record-a 78 usually-then find
          that what I have was either an alternate take or an original.Years ago,I had a  Glenn Mill-
          er 78 of "Tuxedo Junction(recorded for Bluebird on 2/5/40)I had acquired by me when my
          late uncle Dave Morgan gave me an old plywood filing cabinet made just for 78s.That was
          in 1962.There were others as well ranging from what was called "hillbilly" to big band jazz.
          Years later,I bought one of the RCA two record sets-The Complete Glenn Miller Volume
          3 I think.Any rate,That album(reissued on the then reactivated Bluebird label)had both
          takes.I've encountered other albums that had different takes when compared to the original
          78s.I've been at this for nearly fifty years.I was the ripe old age of 11 when uncle Dave gave
          me the filing cabinet.That got me off rock and roll and got hooked on big band music by
          the time I was 14.

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 23, 2009
            There were also non-vocal takes of Dallas Blues and, I think, I Ain't Got Nobody. The following year (1930) Louis recorded vocal and non-vocal takes of Some of These Days and When You're Smiling.

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, aprestitine@... wrote:

            > hello, there were 3 takes to "st louis blues", here is the discographical data
            >

            > Louis Armstrong and his Orchestra : Louis Armstrong (tp,vcl) Otis Johnson, Henry Allen (tp) J.C. Higginbotham (tb) Albert Nicholas, Charlie Holmes (cl,as) Teddy Hill (cl,ts) Luis Russell (p) Will Johnson (g) George "Pops" Foster (b) Paul Barbarin (d)
            > New York, December 13, 1929
            > 403495-B St Louis blues Ok 41350, Voc 3008, etc (ad infinitum) this is the common take
            >
            > 490016-A St Louis blues Col CK46996, CBS CD467919-2
            >
            > 490016-B St Louis blues  -            , -
            >
            > one of the three takes was instrumental, all 3 are on a Columbia CD together BTW, excellent music, was prob for Argentine issue, but the Argentine A&R men prob decided on the vocal take, if it was issued there.
            >
            > hope this helps
            > Yves Francois

          • yves francois
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 23, 2009
              I believe the latter 2  (Some of These Days and When You're Smiling) were

              issued on Argentine Odeon , if I am not mistaken
              Yves

              There were also non-vocal takes of Dallas Blues and, I think, I Ain't Got Nobody. The following year (1930) Louis recorded vocal and non-vocal takes of Some of These Days and When You're Smiling.

              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, aprestitine@ ... wrote:

              > hello, there were 3 takes to "st louis blues", here is the discographical data

              > Louis Armstrong and his Orchestra : Louis Armstrong (tp,vcl) Otis Johnson, Henry Allen (tp) J.C. Higginbotham (tb) Albert Nicholas, Charlie Holmes (cl,as) Teddy Hill (cl,ts) Luis Russell (p) Will Johnson (g) George "Pops" Foster (b) Paul Barbarin (d)

              > New York, December 13, 1929

              > 403495-B St Louis blues Ok 41350, Voc 3008, etc (ad infinitum) this is the common take

              > 490016-A St Louis blues Col CK46996, CBS CD467919-2

              > 490016-B St Louis blues  -            , -

              > one of the three takes was instrumental, all 3 are on a Columbia CD together BTW, excellent music, was prob for Argentine issue, but the Argentine A&R men prob decided on the vocal take, if it was issued there.

              > hope this helps

              > Yves Francois

              > --- On Sat, 3/21/09, danvanlandingham <danvanlandingham@ ...> wrote:

              > From: danvanlandingham <danvanlandingham@ ...>

              > Subject: [RedHotJazz] Louis Armstrong's OKeh recording of "St.Louis Blues"

              > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com

              >   I was listening to the RHJ site and accessed Armstrong's 1929 OKeh recording of "Saint Louis Blues".The masters I heard had no vocal.Back

              > in 1968,I bought an old LP on Columbia Special Products which included

              > a recording of Armstrong of the song.This version had a vocal.The album

              > I had was called "Remember How Great" and was a promo offer by Lucky St-

              > rike cigarettes back in the late fifties or early sixties.I've since fo-

              > und a couple more LPs of the same album.Come to think of it,there was

              > another volume of this album with different artists.Can anyone out there

              > shed some light on this other master with the Armstrong vocal.

            • Albert Haim
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 24, 2009
                According to http://www.michaelminn.net/armstrong/
                <http://www.michaelminn.net/armstrong/>

                St. Louis Blues

                Louis Armstrong And His Orchestra
                December 13, 1929, New York, NY
                St. Louis Blues (vocal) (Handy, W.C.) [master W.403495-B] -- OKeh 41350
                St. Louis Blues (non-vocal) (Handy, W.C.) [master W.490016-A] -- OKeh
                unissued
                St. Louis Blues (non-vocal) (Handy, W.C.) [master W.490016-B] -- OKeh
                unissued

                Armstrong, Louis (Trumpet, Vocal)
                Johnson, Otis (Trumpet)
                Allen, Henry Red (Trumpet)
                Higginbotham, J.C. (Trombone)
                Nicholas, Albert (Clarinet, Alto Saxophone)
                Holmes, Charlie (Clarinet, Alto Saxophone)
                Hill, Teddy (Clarinet, Tenor Saxophone)
                Russell, Luis (Piano)
                Johnson, Will (Guitar)
                Foster, Pops (Bass)
                Barbarin, Paul (Drums)
                The non-vocal takes of ST. LOUIS BLUES were unissued until Columbia's CD
                release of 1991.

                I Ain't Got Nobody and Dallas Blues

                Louis Armstrong And His Orchestra
                December 10, 1929, New York, NY
                I Ain't Got Nobody (vocal) (Graham, R.; Williams, S.) [master
                W.403493-A] -- OKeh 8756
                I Ain't Got Nobody (non-vocal) (Graham, R.; Williams, S.) [master
                W.490014-A] -- OKeh unissued
                Dallas Blues (vocal) (Garrett, L.; Wand, H.A.) [master W.403494-C] --
                OKeh 8774
                Dallas Blues (non-vocal) (Garrett, L.; Wand, H.A.) [master W.490015-A]
                -- OKeh unissued

                Armstrong, Louis (Trumpet, Vocal)
                Johnson, Otis (Trumpet)
                Allen, Henry Red (Trumpet)
                Higginbotham, J.C. (Trombone)
                Nicholas, Albert (Clarinet, Alto Saxophone)
                Holmes, Charlie (Clarinet, Alto Saxophone)
                Hill, Teddy (Clarinet, Tenor Saxophone)
                Russell, Luis (Piano)
                Johnson, Will (Guitar)
                Foster, Pops (Bass)
                Barbarin, Paul (Drums)
                Introducing an entirely new lineup for the Orchestra. The two non-vocal
                tracks remained unissued until Columbia's CD series in 1991.

                Some of These Days

                Louis Armstrong And His Orchestra
                September 10, 1929, New York, NY
                Some Of These Days (vocal) (Brooks, S.) [master W.402942-A] -- OKeh
                41298
                Some Of These Days (Brooks, S.) [master W.402923-C] -- OKeh 8729

                Dickerson, Carroll (Conductor, Violin)
                Armstrong, Louis (Trumpet, Vocal)
                Hobson, Homer (Trumpet)
                Robinson, Fred (Trombone)
                Strong, Jimmy (Clarinet, Tenor Saxophone)
                Curry, Bert (Alto Saxophone)
                Washington, Crawford (Alto Saxophone)
                Anderson, Gene (Piano)
                Carr, Mancy (Banjo)
                Briggs, Pete (Tuba)
                Singleton, Zutty (Drums)
                A third, non-vocal take of SOME OF THESE DAYS (W.402943-F) has been
                rumored to be released, but the only known copy shows no difference
                between it and W.402923-C.

                When You're Smiling

                Louis Armstrong And His Orchestra
                September 11, 1929, New York, NY
                When You're Smiling (vocal) (Fisher, M.; Goodwin, J.; Shay, L.) [master
                W.402947-A] -- OKeh 41298
                When You're Smiling (Fisher, M.; Goodwin, J.; Shay, L.) [master
                W.402924-B] -- OKeh 8729

                Dickerson, Carroll (Conductor, Violin)
                Armstrong, Louis (Trumpet, Vocal)
                Hobson, Homer (Trumpet)
                Robinson, Fred (Trombone)
                Strong, Jimmy (Clarinet, Tenor Saxophone)
                Curry, Bert (Alto Saxophone)
                Washington, Crawford (Alto Saxophone)
                Anderson, Gene (Piano)
                Carr, Mancy (Banjo)
                Briggs, Pete (Tuba)
                Singleton, Zutty (Drums)
                The juggling matrix numbers, begun with SOME OF THESE DAYS, continue
                with this number.

                Albert

                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, yves francois <aprestitine@...>
                wrote:

                > I believe the latter 2 (Some of These Days and When You're Smiling)
                were

                > issued on Argentine Odeon , if I am not mistaken
                > Yves

              • Dan Van Landingham
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 24, 2009
                  Thank you again for the personel on those Armstrong recordings.A  good friend of mine,
                  John Enders now deceased,had a batch of those recordings issued on Parlophone.He
                  was in the army during WW2 and bought them there.If I remember correctly,recording
                  companies cut a vocal for the U.S. market and an instrumental for the European market.I
                  have a circa 1980 album of Red Nichols on Sunbeam(on LP)and it included both versions.
                  The liner notes were great:they should have used those notes when they made that 1959
                  "bio-weeper" that had Danny Kaye playing Red Nichols.I remember John Enders telling me
                  he saw the movie and just hated it.John was a big fan of Bix and Satchmo but he could not
                  stomach the recordings Satchmo cut for both Victor and Decca.He did have Satchmo's
                  late 1930s Deccas of "Savoy Blues" and "West End Blues".He died in 1987 at the age of
                  76 in Ocean Shores,Washington.He had prostate cancer.

                  wrote:

                  > I believe the latter 2 (Some of These Days and When You're Smiling)
                  were

                  > issued on Argentine Odeon , if I am not mistaken
                  > Yves

                • Gilber M. Erskine
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 18, 2009
                    I suppose by now most everyone here has heard/seen Susan Boyle on the Brit TV talent show. It got rave reviews.
                    She did "I Dreamed A Dream" from the musical "Les Miserables", and everyone was stunned by the voice of this unglamorous 47-year old.

                    Well, Scotland's DAILY RECORD found a 1999 CD that Susan did for a charity event. Only 1000 copies were made, and everyone is scrambling to find one.

                    I am absolutely floored with this CD. Susan sings "Cry Me A River", and it is the closest thing to the haunting, plantive singing of early Lee Wiley i've ever heard---

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2DxkrgpgQ

                    ----------------GILBERT M. ERSKINE

                    I believe the latter 2 (Some of These Days and When You're Smiling) were

                    issued on Argentine Odeon , if I am not mistaken
                    Yves

                    There were also non-vocal takes of Dallas Blues and, I think, I Ain't Got Nobody. The following year (1930) Louis recorded vocal and non-vocal takes of Some of These Days and When You're Smiling.

                    --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, aprestitine@ ... wrote:

                    > hello, there were 3 takes to "st louis blues", here is the discographical data

                    > Louis Armstrong and his Orchestra : Louis Armstrong (tp,vcl) Otis Johnson, Henry Allen (tp) J.C. Higginbotham (tb) Albert Nicholas, Charlie Holmes (cl,as) Teddy Hill (cl,ts) Luis Russell (p) Will Johnson (g) George "Pops" Foster (b) Paul Barbarin (d)

                    > New York, December 13, 1929

                    > 403495-B St Louis blues Ok 41350, Voc 3008, etc (ad infinitum) this is the common take

                    > 490016-A St Louis blues Col CK46996, CBS CD467919-2

                    > 490016-B St Louis blues - , -

                    > one of the three takes was instrumental, all 3 are on a Columbia CD together BTW, excellent music, was prob for Argentine issue, but the Argentine A&R men prob decided on the vocal take, if it was issued there.

                    > hope this helps

                    > Yves Francois

                    > --- On Sat, 3/21/09, danvanlandingham <danvanlandingham@ ...> wrote:

                    > From: danvanlandingham <danvanlandingham@ ...>

                    > Subject: [RedHotJazz] Louis Armstrong's OKeh recording of "St.Louis Blues"

                    > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com

                    > I was listening to the RHJ site and accessed Armstrong's 1929 OKeh recording of "Saint Louis Blues".The masters I heard had no vocal.Back

                    > in 1968,I bought an old LP on Columbia Special Products which included

                    > a recording of Armstrong of the song.This version had a vocal.The album

                    > I had was called "Remember How Great" and was a promo offer by Lucky St-

                    > rike cigarettes back in the late fifties or early sixties.I've since fo-

                    > und a couple more LPs of the same album.Come to think of it,there was

                    > another volume of this album with different artists.Can anyone out there

                    > shed some light on this other master with the Armstrong vocal.

                  • Tommer
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 21, 2009
                      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Gilber M. Erskine" <gerskine@...> wrote:

                      > I suppose by now most everyone here has heard/seen Susan Boyle on the Brit TV talent show. It got rave reviews.
                      > She did "I Dreamed A Dream" from the musical "Les Miserables", and everyone was stunned by the voice of this unglamorous 47-year old.
                      >
                      > Well, Scotland's DAILY RECORD found a 1999 CD that Susan did for a charity event. Only 1000 copies were made, and everyone is scrambling to find one.
                      >
                      > I am absolutely floored with this CD. Susan sings "Cry Me A River", and it is the closest thing to the haunting, plantive singing of early Lee Wiley i've ever heard---
                      >
                      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2DxkrgpgQ
                      >
                      > ----------------GILBERT M. ERSKINE

                      I think it proves that todays media can push anything they want, they can create and destroy heroes at will, but that is not to put down the Ms. Boyle powerful old school singing.

                      Here is another old school woman, this time singing the deep old school Gospel music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6bVunARH8I

                      Tommer
                    • Epistrophy
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 21, 2009
                        Thanks for sharing this. I think it's wonderful that she's being given a chance to shine on the show. The American edition is all about looks and flash, it seems. There would be NO chance of Kurt Nilsen, the recent "World Idol", winning anything in the United States because he looks like the offspring of Louie Anderson and Alfred E. Neuman. Never mind that he has one of the most magnificent voices out there today. Kudos to Susan Boyle for breaking the mold.

                        - Todd, lurker

                      • jaykay_4444
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 21, 2009
                          Susan Boyle reminds us that once in a generation (or two generations), even nowadays, a singer can be acclaimed for the quality of her (or his) voice, regardless of her lacking the razzle-dazzle qualities that show biz requires. That's encouraging. As soon as I heard Susan Boyle, I was reminded of Kate Smith. But of course Kate Smith was almost exclusively a radio singer, whereas Susan Boyle's success is likely to be restricted without "...the costumes, the scenery, the makeup, the props..." - I'm sorry to say.