Re: [RedHotJazz] Shields 'St Louis'

  • Gilber M. Erskine
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
      Thanks for the link. The Shield's interviewer was Roger Wolfe, a well known disc jockey in New Orleans at that time. I will have to say that anything Wolfe reported would be questionable, and I hope I am not going to be accused of being malicious. Wolfe was personable and had a good radio voice style, but he was hopelessly ignorant of a large part of jazz, especially if it was not by white New Orleans musicians. I remember being astounded when he could not even identify clarinetist Pee Wee Russell on a well known record.
      ---------------GILBERT M. ERSKINE
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2009
        Nick does confirm a rejected take on 25 May making it possible that this was
        played back to Shields, or even a pressing from the previous abortive
        attempt, but I am healthily sceptical. Shields in interview comes over
        exactly as previously envisaged, unassertive and very eager to please.

        My best guess now is that at least parts of the solo were pre-existent in
        N.O. clarinet blues repertoire but that chronology excludes specific
        standardisation on 'St Louis'. But Shields record was certainly heard back
        in N.O. which resulted in even greater standardisation of form and
        limitation to 'St Louis'. Shields claim to genuine authorship is most
        undermined by the fact that there is almost nothing similar in his oeuvre.

        From Fraser we heard from Willie Humphrey and I note that Willie, as late as
        1977, was still playing the standard Shields breaks on 'Tiger Rag' which
        Bigard later elaborated with Ellington. We know that the themes of 'Tiger
        Rag' were well pre-existent in N.O. repertoire under other names so maybe
        this is another case of Shields borrowing and standardising.