RE: [RedHotJazz] New Orleans Clarinet Style (Morgan et all)

  • yves francois
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2009
      Andrew Morgan recorded rather prolifically from the very late 40's onwards. A live recording with Herb Morand in 1949 (Happy Landings?, it's issued at the end of an American Music CD), but most recordings in the 60's and 70's. I have him with John Handy with Punch Miller etc in 1970 (issued on a couple of CD"s by Big Bill Bissonette's CD label), a Sam Morgan revisited I have on CD, I think he is on an Earl Humphrey LP on Circle and he even recorded with Barry Martin in Italy (I don't have this last one BTW) in the 70's.
      Hope this helps
      Yves Francois
      PS the clarinet on the last Celestin is rather weaker, but there is 3 reeds, thought it may of been Pierson on a bad day

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10, 2009
        The session you remember as being on Circle was reissued on Center,
        but it originally came out on La Croix and was recorded in 1967
        by "Lord" Richard Ekins. It has more recently been issued on CD on
        Mike Dine's 504 label. It's a nice session notable for the presence
        of Earl Humphrey and Louis James who had last recorded together as
        part of Louis Dumaine's Jazzola 8 for Victor in 1927.
        The 1949 session with Morand is interesting with Morgan playing tenor
        as well as clarinet.

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, yves francois <aprestitine@...>