Gus Mueller

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2009
      Thanks to Gilbert for bringing this rather obscure N.O. player, born 1890,
      to our attention.

      I have found only some early Abe Lyman sides which are stiff and novelty
      with very little to recommend them, except possibly Mueller.

      He plays in the then standard Shields style with the dichotomy between
      novelty staccato and N.O. fluidity.

      Nothing here really to suggest a frustrated great blues player although he
      reportedly left Lyman for the same reason he left Whiteman.

      Best is 'Sally's Got The Blues' 17 July 1924 which offers a decent clarinet
      solo avoiding novelty excess in which he sounds not quite like anybody else.

      Does anybody know any later Mueller -- he lived till 1965 ?

      Chilton has him in California in the 40s 'gigging with Hillbilly bands.'

      He is obviously of German descent and how about the influence of Bavarian
      Bläser Musik on N.O. clarinet style ? No ?