EMILE BARNES

  • fraser540021
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2009
      I wonder why Emile sounded so different from Paul?

      With only ten years difference in age and being brothers you would
      have imagined they had the same musical influences.

      Could it be that Paul's clarinet playing was forever 'tainted' by his
      long time playing of the sax? 'tainted' is not meant in a derogatory
      fashion,I think we need to be grateful to the Barry Martyn's and Bill
      Bissonette's who persuaded him to record on Alto in the sixties.

      I note that Willie Joseph gets a brief mention in 'Song for my
      fathers' by Tom Sancton,the reference is mainly to his brother 'Papa'
      John. Apparently John joseph also played clarinet and was one of the
      first men in New Orleans to play sax,Apparently he gigged around the
      red light district with Willie.

      In a discussion of N.O. clarinet players, nobody seems to have got
      around to Andrew Morgan who was coming up around the same time as
      Paul Barnes,George Lewis etc.

      Fraser McCombe