RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Nunez was Willie Joseph Johnny Dodds and the Klezmer Sound

    Message 1 of 48 , Feb 5, 2009
      Nick well observes one important facet of Nunez. Even in the one session
      with cornet, Nunez leads. The only other players I can think of who, at
      times, did so are Dodds & Bechet.

      Pee Wee Russell, in the Balliett interview, also stressed this as the aspect
      that most impressed him on his single live hearing of Nunez and reports
      trying to emulate. Whether this is enough to hang upon Nunez the label of
      PWR influence, I doubt.

      There is very little critical consideration of Nunez, even Sudhalter is
      surprisingly reticent on so singular a white stylist. He appears
      substantially only in discussion of PWR where Sudhalter observes of the
      first Louisiana 5 session:-

      ' it's clear that Nunez is breaking new ground -- creates a part that is at
      once lead and solo.'

      He also compares 'Nunez's swooping elegance' in the high register to
      Shields.

      Schuller posits :-- 'Nunez's playing comes straight out of the parade band
      tradition of N.O. -- he plays what appears to be all of which he was
      capable: the shrill melodic lead that he learned from N.O. bands.'

      That is interesting but we note the opposing views, not least between
      'breaking new ground' and representing jazz pre-history.

      I can only think that Schuller had in ear the Young Tuxedo with Casimir
      which we have recently discussed and it is maybe dangerous to make
      assumptions on early style from these 1950s recordings or others made N.O.
      post revival. But I hear what he means.

      Big Eye Louis Nelson Delisle we have done here before, recently and in the
      more distant past. I am working my way through all first hand accounts of
      early N.O. and in every account he appears as an important, seminal,
      original and pivotal figure in the formation of N.O. jazz clarinet style.
      And a very good player.

      ' But Big Eye played hot and played more clarinet than anybody in those
      days. I really liked to play with him because he had such a nice style. Big
      Eye Louis was the greatest clarinet player I ever played with.'

      Pops Foster Autobiography.

    • levi.marco@libero.it
      Message 48 of 48 , Mar 2, 2009