Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Willie Joseph Johnny Dodds and the Klezmer Sound

  • Nick Dellow
    Message 1 of 48 , Feb 4, 2009
      It is said that, unlike Alcide Nunez, Larry Shields quickly recognised the
      role of the clarinet in the cornet-led Dixieland ensemble - a role that has
      remained fixed ever since. Nunez saw the clarinet as the lead instrument,
      carrying the melody rather than supplying the weaving counter melody as
      Shields did, which explains why the Louisiana Five's recordings do not
      feature a cornet (except for one session)! Having said that, it was probably
      his drinking and unreliability that led to Nunez being fired by the highly
      ambitious and business-like La Rocca. Interestingly, while a member of the
      Louisiana Five, Nunez was regularly billed as "The World's Greatest Jazz
      Clarinetist", and though this title undoubtedly owes much to advertising
      hyperbole it at least demonstrates that Nunez possessed skills that could be
      sold to the public.

      Johnny Dodds replaced Nunez at Kelly's Stables!

      According to Emile Barnes, in his formative years Johnny Dodds used to run
      away when he saw Sidney Bechet approaching a bandstand on which he was
      working, though it should be noted that Dodds did eventually became one of
      Bechet's favourite clarinettists. Unlike Dodd's, Sidney Bechet's severe case
      of global wanderlust kept him out of the studios for many a year, and during
      a crucial period too (1926-1930). This only goes to demonstrate that one
      must proceed carefully when handing out the laurels to those musicians who
      visited the recording studios on a regular basis while compatriots of
      equally venerated status were not, or were rarely, captured by the cutting
      head and the wax!

      When discussing all these great New Orleans clarinettists, mention should be
      made of Lorenzo Tio Jr, who gave lessons to Bechet, Dodds, Noone, Nichols,
      Bigard and Simeon (some list of pupils!) and helped to formulate the big
      "woody" Albert system sound as evinced by those same former students! Also
      important is "Big Eye" Louis Nelson Delisle, who was taught by Lorenzo Tio
      Sr, but who only entered the recording studios in the 1940s when his health
      was already quite poor.

    • levi.marco@libero.it
      Message 48 of 48 , Mar 2, 2009