Re: Willie Joseph Johnny Dodds and the Klezmer Sound

  • Albert Haim
    Message 1 of 48 , Feb 3, 2009
      Johnny Dodds plays a short fragment that exhibits, at least to my
      ears, the unmistakable sound of Klezmer music. Listen to this excerpt
      from King Oliver Creole Jazz Band's "High Society Rag."

      http://bixography.com/DoddsHighSocietyRag.ram

      What is particularly significnt about this is that, in contrast with
      other jazz recordings that exhibit the Klezmar sound ("Palesteena" by
      the ODJB, for example, which has a Jewish-Middle Eastern theme), King
      Oliver's "High Society Rag" is a march copyrighted in April 1901 by
      Porter Steele!!

      Albert

      PS You can listen to the complete recording of King Oliver's "High
      Society Rag" (OKeh 4933)in Scott's redhotjazz archive.
      http://redhotjazz.com/Songs/Oliver/jazzband/highsociety.ram

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Dan Van Landingham

    • levi.marco@libero.it
      Message 48 of 48 , Mar 2, 2009