RE: [RedHotJazz] Emile Barnes (and "St Louis Blues" Shields) was Re: Willie Joseph

    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
      Israel Gorman in 'St. Louis Blues' , 'At Happy Landings', 7 August 1954,
      paraphrases the Shields solo of 1921, including a direct quote.

      This either proves the extent of Shields influence or, as Yves suggested, a
      pre-existing standard clarinet solo which, as Shields left N.O. permanently
      in 1916, must have been established extremely early, especially as 'St Louis
      ' was only published in 1914.

      Can anybody supply dates or more for Gorman and also possibly for Steve
      Angrum ?

      Thanks

    • Robert Greenwood
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 5, 2009
        Inclement weather has kept me indoors and away from computers, so I
        have used some of the available time listening to various versions of
        St Louis Blues for the "Shields clarinet solo."
        Emile Barnes plays it on the 1951 American Music Louisiana Joymakers
        session; both takes. He plays it also on the 1951 Kid Thomas session
        for AM. Failing health may have discouraged his attempting it on
        sessions from 1962 and 1963. The Solo forms part of the version he
        recorded at the 1946 Harmony Four session.
        His brother Paul Barnes does not play The Solo on the St Louis Blues
        recorded at a session in 1966 with Sheik and Earl Humphrey.
        Steve Angrum (born 1895) in his all too brief recording career
        recorded two versions; on neither does he play Shields' solo.
        Israel Gorman (born 1896) seems always to have played it, although,
        as he does on the 1962 Icon session with Punch, it forms the second
        chorus only of his solo spot.
        Willie Humphrey uses it as the second chorus of his solo on the 1961
        Riverside Emma Barrett session.
        Albert Burbank can be heard to play it on a 1945 AM with Wooden Joe
        and Joe Petit. He plays it again in 1962 on the Kid Clayton Icon
        session.
        John Casimir plays it on a 1962 Icon session with Kid Howard.
        Raymond Burke seems never to have recorded this solo.

        > Israel Gorman in 'St. Louis Blues' , 'At Happy Landings', 7
        August 1954,
        > paraphrases the Shields solo of 1921, including a direct quote.
        >
        > This either proves the extent of Shields influence or, as Yves
        suggested, a
        > pre-existing standard clarinet solo which, as Shields left N.O.
        permanently
        > in 1916, must have been established extremely early, especially
        as 'St Louis
        > ' was only published in 1914.
        >
        > Can anybody supply dates or more for Gorman and also possibly for
        Steve
        > Angrum ?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Dave

      • jtdyamond
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 30 4:57 PM
          As a NO-style clarinettist, for many years I'd wondered where the St
          Louis Blues clarinet solo came from - all the New Orleans men played a
          version of it. So, back in 1980, I asked Willie Humphrey where he got
          the solo from. He looked at me, gave a mischievous smile and said, "I s
          everybody happy?" I didn't understand what he meant. He repeated, "Is
          everybody happy?" I still didn't understand, so he said, "Ted Lewis,
          man!" That was Ted Lewis's catchphraseÂ…

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 31 12:35 AM
            Hello -- er -- ? -- a name would be nice.

            That is very interesting. Lewis recorded 'St. Louis' on 7 Dec 1922. There
            is a dreadful dire clarinet solo which is nothing at all like the Shields.

            Either Willie was being deliberately disingenuous or, through the folklore
            fog of 60 years, one 'celebrated' early white clarinettist had been confused
            with another.

            If the latter, I interpret as enhancing Shields claim to genuine authorship.

          • fearfeasa
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 31 7:09 AM
              Maybe Shields did "write" the solo - maybe not. Did the ODJB or
              LaRocca-Shields write /Tiger Rag/ or was it Jelly Roll Morton? Or was it
              just a rip-off of /Play Jack Carey/? Did they write the /Dixie Jass Band
              One-Step/? Or was that just a rip-off of /Livery Stable Blues/? (The
              famous court case decided that no one could claim royalties.) Maybe we
              should all sit around a ouija board, hold hands and try to contact the
              living, as Ronnie Scott suggested. Maybe someone should have asked Picou
              or Big Eye? Picou would have claimed it - Big Eye would have disagreed.

              A better question than 'Did Shields "write" the solo?' would be 'Who did
              Shields get it from?' The essence of NO jazz was and still is, that it
              is an urban folk music, without "authors."

              Willie liked to joke. That reply was his way of taking the piss - but
              also of telling me, 'Don't be asking me those silly questions. It's the
              tradition - I'm part of the tradition and so is that solo. I'm proud of
              the tradition, so I learnt the traditional solo /and made it my own/ -
              just as Larry Shields did. Now let's talk about something else." Which
              we did.

              As for my name. Over on the right there, you'll see that this was posted
              by "jtdyamond." Is that not enough for the time being? Lighten up, for
              now, please....

              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 31 10:37 AM
                > As for my name. Over on the right there, you'll see that this was posted
                > by "jtdyamond." Is that not enough for the time being? Lighten up, for
                > now, please....

                Hi, X, a.k.a. "for the time being"

                I thought David's kind reminder would relieve me from the task of sending
                you a serious warning, but seeing your reply I'm afraid "for the time being"
                is likely to turn into "how long?" in no time.

                You received the group's rules and recommendations as everyone else, didn't
                you? So calm down a bit and read them, they'll teach you a lot, like not
                sending 300 lines of unnecessary quotes as you did in your very first post
                to the group, and avoiding nasty comments when someone suggests you to
                behave like everybody else.

                I know, none of us is everybody else, but signing one's name is elementary
                politeness and we're not supposed to extract your identity from an email
                address, full stop (or period, for non-British)
                Introducing oneself before posting is also a custom here. Up to you if you
                don't want to, but you were a lot more talkative about yourself while
                requesting subscription, right?

                Sorry if the group-owner is such an unpleasant guy, but I've already seen
                great experts blow a Yahoo group into pieces because they weren't warned on
                time, and I won't reiterate the Linda experience for six months.

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 2, 2009
                  Thanks to Patrice and really to Mr Dyamond. (?) The views of a practising
                  musician are usually to be welcomed.

                  Also definitely of value, first hand reports of what musicians, such as
                  Willie, said about their music.

                  I also recommend use of the Group archive. Threads tend to get spread and
                  confused and Dodds in the 30s and the Shields solo have been discussed under
                  several headers.

                  A search with musician's name will produce all relevant posts.

                • silverleafjb
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 16, 2009
                    I think Willie was winding you up...

                    Cheers,