Re: [RedHotJazz] Ozzie Nelson

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2009
      I remember watching Ozzie and Harriet Nelson on tv roughly fifty years ago and I never
      heard of him playing trumpet.The trumpeter was Bo Ashford,a Bix styled trumpeter.He
      had a brother named Bob Ashford also a trumpeter.The only record I ever heard that
      featured Ashford who was rather boring.The baritone saxophonist had a more interest-
      ing solo.I also read that Nelson was a banjoist.On a sitcom called "The Mothers in
      Law" starring Eve Arden and Kay Medford,from the middle to late sixties,Nelson had a
      bit part playing an alto saxophonist-bandleader named "Owen Sinclair" who was also
      known as Ossie Snick.Prior to Nelson's stint as an RCA artist,he was on Brunswick in
      the early thirties.

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2009
        Hi agian!

        The picture on the album I have shows him holding a trumpet, so I guess I ASSUMED he could play the darn thing??

        There is another episode which I have on DVD where Ozzie plays the banjo as part of a Women's Club Benefit?

        Robbi

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
          Charlie Buebeck was the baritone saxophonist for the Ozzie Nelson band, and gave it much
          of its distinctive tone, although the arrangements, particularly in the late '30s, were
          remarkably rich. It wasn't a red-hot jazz band by any means, but a particularly good dance
          band. Among my favorite recordings by the Nelson group are "The Folks Who Live on the
          Hill" and "You Can't Run Away from Love Tonight."
        • David Weiner
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
            Charlie Buebeck was the baritone saxophonist for the Ozzie Nelson band, and
            gave it much
            of its distinctive tone, although the arrangements, particularly in the late
            '30s, were
            remarkably rich. It wasn't a red-hot jazz band by any means, but a
            particularly good dance
            band. Among my favorite recordings by the Nelson group are "The Folks Who
            Live on the
            Hill" and "You Can't Run Away from Love Tonight."

            And "Says My Heart."